90 Pound Wahoo Off Boynton!

ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
I went kayak fishing with Ryan, an intern from work who is from Iowa who wanted to see what kayak fishing was all about. He has never been fishing in the Atlantic Ocean before and had never even been in a kayak before. We were in 110 feet off Boynton Beach when I set up his live bait rig with a live goggle eye and dropped it in the water. I am holding the rod explaining how a conventional reel works for only a few seconds when the drag starts to pull. Then it starts to scream. I hand the rod to Ryan who then spends the next 30 minutes getting dragged out to 320 feet. He tells me his hands are going numb. I'm screaming instructions at him. Finally I take over and work the fish up to the surface to see the biggest wahoo I've ever seen. The fish is dead tired by this point but I'm still worried that he will thrash when I gaff him and I lose it or flip my kayak. I sink the gaff and the fish doesn't react. We paddle back to the beach for a photo shoot. Pretty amazing fish for anyone, let alone your first fish in the Atlantic and first time in a kayak.

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO

Replies

• aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,272 Officer
    :applause
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    HUGE FISH!!!! Congrats. I really hope you took a picture of the scale saying 90lb. That is a once in a lifetime wahoo.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    WOW! He's ruined for life...fishing will never ever be as good! :wink
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • BeeknBeekn Posts: 136 Deckhand
    And they say there is no such thing a beginner's luck! Friggin' awesome. Way to break him in.
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Well, it's all downhill from here folks, that's a fish of a lifetime in a boat let alone a kayak!

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    HUGE FISH!!!! Congrats. I really hope you took a picture of the scale saying 90lb. That is a once in a lifetime wahoo.

Just updated the original post with the picture of the scale.
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Nice!
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 646 Officer
    Amazing on so many levels. Iowa lol.
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,807 Captain
    WOW..........Congratulations ! If that doesn't get Ryan hooked on fishing, nothing will. There seems to be a trend of begginer's luck kayak wahoo being caught. The last 4 local kayak wahoo I saw posted this year were by anglers with about month or less of kayak fishing experience. For the boat fishermen that still has not caught a wahoo, now is a good time to try hopping in a kayak. For the kayak angler who still has not caught a wahoo, now is the time to drag that green freind out kayak fishing -- LOL. I heard it was a 40 minute fish, looks like it was taken on a 6/0 senator with pretty heavy line ? Almost too big to get the whole fish in the GOPRO camera.......too little footage for such an Amazing Catch ! Good job getting it to the beach.
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 333 Deckhand
    Awesome! What else can I say. That is fantastic. Well done.....with all the chaos and all. A day you guys will never forget. The only bad thing is..... How do you top that?
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Wow,:thumbsup Very nice Wahoo.
  • kitesfrkitesfr Posts: 356 Officer
    You are a BAD A$$ :crowd
    Fair winds and following seas!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Saw this on Facebook. Simply amazing!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    WOW..........Congratulations ! If that doesn't get Ryan hooked on fishing, nothing will. There seems to be a trend of begginer's luck kayak wahoo being caught. The last 4 local kayak wahoo I saw posted this year were by anglers with about month or less of kayak fishing experience. For the boat fishermen that still has not caught a wahoo, now is a good time to try hopping in a kayak. For the kayak angler who still has not caught a wahoo, now is the time to drag that green freind out kayak fishing -- LOL. I heard it was a 40 minute fish, looks like it was taken on a 6/0 senator with pretty heavy line ? Almost too big to get the whole fish in the GOPRO camera.......too little footage for such an Amazing Catch ! Good job getting it to the beach.

Agreed John, I was so scared to lose the catch boatside that I didn't get great footage, the camera was smudged, and I didn't get any good pictures holding the fish. I was so scared that it was going to thrash about and cause me to lose it that I wanted to put it in the fish bag ASAP. I have some raw footage that I can go through. I have one more clip of the fish at boatside that I will post. It was actually a 40 year old Penn Senator 3/0 with 20 year old line on it! I bought it a year ago from one of my patients who is 90 years old and too old to keep fishing so he sold me a bunch of gear. The night before we fished, I remembered my other Avet was in the shop so I was scrambling to find some gear for Ryan to use. I found that old Senator and was like, "what the hell, this will work." I was only expecting rat kings and maybe some bonita. Did not expect to hook a monster, let alone that old gear to hold up! The reel is all rusted and the drag plate was like 200 degrees when I touched it after the fight.
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Produkt wrote: »
    Agreed John, I was so scared to lose the catch boatside that I didn't get great footage, the camera was smudged, and I didn't get any good pictures holding the fish. I was so scared that it was going to thrash about and cause me to lose it that I wanted to put it in the fish bag ASAP. I have some raw footage that I can go through. I have one more clip of the fish at boatside that I will post. It was actually a 40 year old Penn Senator 3/0 with 20 year old line on it! I bought it a year ago from one of my patients who is 90 years old and too old to keep fishing so he sold me a bunch of gear. The night before we fished, I remembered my other Avet was in the shop so I was scrambling to find some gear for Ryan to use. I found that old Senator and was like, "what the hell, this will work." I was only expecting rat kings and maybe some bonita. Did not expect to hook a monster, let alone that old gear to hold up! The reel is all rusted and the drag plate was like 200 degrees when I touched it after the fight.
    WOW... it was certainly meant to be your fish. Amazing fish for sure. Leave some in there for the EKFT!.
  • Mike JMike J Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    :applause:Rockon:applause:Rockon:applause:Rockon:applause:beer
  • LFL333LFL333 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    AMAZING!!!!!
    That is what dreams are made of!

Congrats!
  • ebgatorebgator Posts: 46 Deckhand
    THAT MUST'VE BEEN FUN ON THE YAK!!!
  • MaribellaMaribella Posts: 508 Officer
    HOLY COW. There's beginner's luck and then there's BEGINNER'S LUCK
    You have now attained forever hero status in your friend's mind!

What a catch and congratulations!
    Captain James Jolly

RYlyzXj.jpg

Maribella Charters, LLC
    www.MaribellaCharters.com
    ph: 772.222.7101
    [email protected]
  • kurtwillykurtwilly Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Great job!!! STOKED FOR YOU GUYS!!
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Great 'Hoo Man! Gratz.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • ChippyDieselChippyDiesel Posts: 457 Officer
    Thats awesome, well done!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

That's awesome!!!!! Fat fish. Was there a big bait in the stomach? My biggest was 84# and it had about a 2# wrasse of some sort half way digested. Goes to show that they feed through the entire water column.

Really cool catch, man! On that old tackle is cool, too! I bet being in a kayak helps a LOT on that front. Talk about a smooth drag! Big power boat is about like pier fishing and you must have a great drag. In that kayak, a surge from fish will move the boat; granted, not a lot, but that is shock absorption and is effectively the same thing as line coming off the reel.

Hat is off to you and I bet your intern will be buying a kayak soon!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

That's awesome!!!!! Fat fish. Was there a big bait in the stomach? My biggest was 84# and it had about a 2# wrasse of some sort half way digested. Goes to show that they feed through the entire water column.

Really cool catch, man! On that old tackle is cool, too! I bet being in a kayak helps a LOT on that front. Talk about a smooth drag! Big power boat is about like pier fishing and you must have a great drag. In that kayak, a surge from fish will move the boat; granted, not a lot, but that is shock absorption and is effectively the same thing as line coming off the reel.

Hat is off to you and I bet your intern will be buying a kayak soon!

There was actually nothing else in its belly but my gog, I was definitely interested in what else it ate. Huge egg sac though
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    That is incredible! I'm still trying to catch any wahoo. I thought this was only possible in the islands or South Africa, not Boynton. The fact that this was his first time on a kayak and he was still learning to use the 40 year old reel makes it that much sweeter. The picture of you cradling the fish is ridiculous. It looks stupid huge. Congrats! Fish of a lifetime.
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    BAD AS$!!!!!!
    Signature
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 554 Officer
    Great job and coaching. Congrats on an awesome 1st kayak fish!!!! :hail
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    My first cobia was 91.2#, sight fishing. Truly something to be said for beginners luck.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Congrats on a Truly awesome fish, great job.