Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

mid bay bonefish and snook

ive been fishing the matheson hammock area to chicken key for the last 7 years. i went yesterday which was a good morning tide weather water temp ect... ive caught over 80 bonefish here over the 7 years mostly before the last three years especially not since are bad freeze and continued cool last winter. has anyone had any luck in this upper bay area on the west side of the bay in the last 6 months im afraid my fish have acclimated more south. by the way ive caught hundreds of snook in the area and have only caught one or two slots but yesterday i caught a 32 incher and some nice mid 20inch fish.

Replies

• RizanglerRizangler Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Hey, just started fishing this area from a kayak. Wish I went yesterday, thought the weather would be to rainy. Was going to go today but will try Monday hope for some dryer weather. I have seen lots of trout in the Snapper creek area along with Snappers. Its encouraging to read your observations. I really like this area, pretty quiet considering how close its to Miami.
    G3 Bay 18 DLX
    13' Native Slayer Propel
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 93 Deckhand
    there has to be someone that has been bonefishing or seen bonefish in the matheson hammock region in the last 6 months i dont need details a yes or no will do
  • get 'er doneget 'er done Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    majority of fish died in freeze...............honest to god truth
  • Flat LinerFlat Liner Posts: 84 Deckhand
    I fish Chicken key quite a bit, have done well with snook and mangroves but have yet to see bones, even though my buddy used to catch them there years ago.
    At matheson Hammock on the other hand I have seen bones just south of the last parking area and they are usually there around low tide.
  • mangohunter11mangohunter11 Posts: 442 Officer
    The answer is yes. I've poled the flates just south of matheson on the yak around april and they where a few want to say 10 or 15 fish tailing hard real close to the mangroves two days in a role. As of late I have not seen one on the west side in over 3 months. This rain flush the bay and turned the water tanic not a good combo for bones. I've seen a lot of reports of them on the ocean side. As for the snook they are there but deep in the mangroves. Saw a slob right by the beach of matheson a week ago. One thing you need to make of a note of Snapper creek and area is teeming with big bullsharks! I was last out there thursday and the sharks where on the prowl all along the flats( big ones!). With the wind blasting the coast its going to be hard to sight cast one! It sounds crazy but I see more permit up close and on the flat in that area on sloppy days than I do calm days.