Home Tropics

Red Grouper Western Bahamas?

CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 890 Officer
Has anyone caught a legal sized Red Grouper out of West End or Bimini this year? We used to catch them year round in Bimini. For the past 5 years, I have fished out of West End on a regular basis and haven't seen one red.
I imagine that the 1000's of traps and the onslaught of Lionfish have decimated the population.
Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
pm me for rental info.

Replies

• heatzheatz Posts: 104 Officer
    CNTDR wrote: »
    Has anyone caught a legal sized Red Grouper out of West End or Bimini this year? We used to catch them year round in Bimini. For the past 5 years, I have fished out of West End on a regular basis and haven't seen one red.
    I imagine that the 1000's of traps and the onslaught of Lionfish have decimated the population.

BTW, been seeing very few lionfish around west end last few trips in depths 8-50 ft.
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    Hey Jeff, as you know, I have been fishing Bimini to Orange for 30 years now so I can personally see and recount the changes. On Memorial weekend I had the family with me and anchored up in 100' down by Ocean for some YT action. Was really slow so we went to make a move and could not get the anchor up, which hardly ever happens to me? After 45 minutes trying everything I decided to get short over it and cut it. But as all the kids kept pulling it kept coming up?! I said here comes a huge boulder! Was not a boulder but a huge fish trap 4'x4'x3' the anchor caught with nice fish in it including short grouper, hogs, lanes, tropicals you name it. :( bummer. What was worse the line ran north and south who knows how far and how many traps?? This was right along an area I have deep jigged for Reds and other nice Grouper for 20+ years and your right, its been a long time since I caught a keeper fish in this area. Now I know why! There are no buoys in sight? Assume there must be at least one at the end of the line they pull? I was wondering if this is legal in the Bahamas? They are literally destroying the fish stocks on the reef drop off line? I also saw a commercial fish trap guy pulling traps during Wahoo season right in front of Gun Cay, so they are doing this as far as I can tell the entire drop off from Great Harbour, around Issac and down to Orange and no one cares in the government...What a shame. I did manage a few nice fish down by orange a month ago but its a 50+ mile run each way so not the most practical trip to catch a limit of bottom fish. Someone in the Bahamas government needs to get a handle on this...They are killing themselves....
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 890 Officer
    Hi Eric, you know how the Bahamian gov't works. They are aware of the problems, mostly by the Dominicans, but they choose to ignore it. I have spoken with commercial fisherman in Spanish Wells and they have been shot at by non Bahamians who steel their traps and fish illegally. Cay Sal is being wiped out and Andros is the same. At least there are fish left, in certain remote areas for those of us who can travel the distance and put the time in.
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    My uncle who saw the Bahamas under British rule told me once that declaring independence was the worst thing they ever did. Kind of hard to argue that point when you see things up close.
    2003 Viking 45C
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    Slipkid wrote: »
    My uncle who saw the Bahamas under British rule told me once that declaring independence was the worst thing they ever did. Kind of hard to argue that point when you see things up close.

he is 100% on the money......funny thing, they celebrate it like it was the greatest ''ting'' that ever happened..