Fish finder

palmbeachanglerpalmbeachangler DeckhandPosts: 40 Deckhand
New to the thread so hello everyone. I am looking to put a decent fish finder on my yak. Any suggestions that wont break the bank? I was looking at the Garmin striker 4 because of the price and it has GPS. Is there anything better for around $100?

Replies

• sjwebb15sjwebb15 Greenhorn Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I too am interested in this information. From the, admittedly limited, research I've done, nothing from Lowrance or Humminbird can compete on the feature set of the Striker for a similar price. Are we missing something? Or is the Striker what many people choose, at least for their first fish finder?
  • palmbeachanglerpalmbeachangler Deckhand Posts: 40 Deckhand
    sjwebb15 wrote: »
    I too am interested in this information. From the, admittedly limited, research I've done, nothing from Lowrance or Humminbird can compete on the feature set of the Striker for a similar price. Are we missing something? Or is the Striker what many people choose, at least for their first fish finder?[

I have read a lot of positive reviews on the striker but I have yet to personally meet someone who has it. I also would like to check it out in a store but no strores in my area seem to have it. Hoping for some insight from someone who has one.
    I like that garmin has the portable kit as well. Probably not the most economical option for battery,etc. but at least you know everything will work together. the next question is whether the downvu is worth the extra $80. Can anyone weigh in on that?
    I like that garmin has the portable kit as well. Probably not the most economical option for battery,etc. but at least you know everything will work together. the next question is whether the downvu is worth the extra $80. Can anyone weigh in on that?

Does the striker 4 have downvu? I would consider another option if the downvu is considerably better. I really like that the striker 4 has gps
    There are two versions of the striker. Striker 4 and Striker 4dv. The 4dv has downvu and costs 80 more dollars. I also think that the gps is crucial.
    There are two versions of the striker. Striker 4 and Striker 4dv. The 4dv has downvu and costs 80 more dollars. I also think that the gps is crucial.

After reading your comment I looked and saw there is one with downvu. I will spend the extra $80 if its worth it. Has anyone seen either one in any stores? I also want to know if the transducer is the one that can be mounted in the scupper hole or if it has to be mounted in the hull of my yak.
  • krashkrash Officer Posts: 651 Officer
    If I was going to use a ff/gps offshore I'd make sure the device has and can be updated with quality maps via a chip like Navionics.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    krash wrote: »
    If I was going to use a ff/gps offshore I'd make sure the device has and can be updated with quality maps via a chip like Navionics.

This appears to be the striker units' achilles heel. It never occurred to me that a unit with GPS wouldn't also have charts, but that appears to be what Garmin has done. Thanks for pointing this out, krash. The search continues.....
  • Android77Android77 Deckhand Posts: 488 Deckhand
    $100 fish finders are just that. There's a reason people pay several thousand dollars for one. Not just so they can say they spent a lot of money but they do things that $100 ones can't like see fish, bait I've even watched fish hit my jigs.
    what model do you have, android? I have used fish finders from Lowrance in the $1000 range that couldn't do that, so I would be interested in knowing what enables that kind of resolution.
    Android77 wrote: »
    $100 fish finders are just that. There's a reason people pay several thousand dollars for one. Not just so they can say they spent a lot of money but they do things that $100 ones can't like see fish, bait I've even watched fish hit my jigs.[/QUO

I know I am not going to get that kind of resolution. I am just trying to get the best bang for my buck. If I had a boat I would invest in a higher end model but it is just for my kayak. What model were you using to get such good resolution?
  • quatinquatin Officer Posts: 598 Officer
    You guys are not looking at the right specs. Forget all the fancy "options and capabilities" they advertise, that's just to catch fishermen, not fish.

Things to prioritize on a Sonar Unit in order of importance:
    1) RMS Transmit Power (ignore peak to peak)
    2) Transducer puck size (often not listed on spec sheet)
    3) Dual scanning frequency (lower is better)
    4) Pixel HEIGHT of screen (Width is just for convenience)
    5) SD card slot

Mounting a sonar puck correctly is a job in itself. If you plan on using glue inside the hull, reduce the power by half. It's also critical to mount the puck such that it points directly down when you're in the water with a normal load. Any tilt just reduces your effective transmit power again.

I have a 262W RMS unit and a 500W RMS unit both on a thru-hull mount. I can see my jig down to about 100 feet on the 500W unit. I can't see it at all on the 262W unit. IMO, 262W thru-hull is a bit lacking for offshore, since it already starts to lose bottom around 400-500 feet, so you lose sensitivity way before that. (I now have it on my dive kayak). If you mount the transducer directly in the water, it might be OK.

Good luck on whatever you choose. My advise is don't cheap out on the sonar unit, you'll just end up hating it when you see someone with a good unit and end up buying a better one anyways. Also, sonar units are not permanently mounted. You can always move it around to another kayak/boat.