Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

New Boat Ramp at Rocky Creek????

Well I guess Dixie county decided to do some improvements to the boat ramp at Rocky Creek, they could definitely use some improving, it was tough for me to even launch my jon boat at low tide due to shallow conditions and the rocks in the water. Just pull out the rocks and put down a little gravel and it would have been fine but no….

IMG_1477_zpsyv2xinwf.jpg

Are you freaking kidding me, if you look at the ramps they are building they are barely even in the water, it is low tide but the tide was something like +1.7 and the ramp extends into the water maybe 2’.

IMG_1478_zps1h53xqv5.jpg

They are going to have to fill in the whole area with about 4’ of fill dirt, unbelievable. What do they think people will be launching there???
Tight Lines, Steve
My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers

Replies

• Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Once these ramps are done guess kayak fishermen and other smaller more "primitive" boats can kiss good-bye some "peaceful" and quiet fishing on Rocky Creek. It'll be airboats galore! Some locals in the area told me some mucky-mucks with bigger boats leaned on Dixie County whining about Steinhatchee getting too "crowded".

Gotta wonder where a county as poor as Dixie County came up with the $$ for this project. Some locals also said the money could be better spent on greater needs that would benefit more Dixie County residents.

Oh, well...there's still Pine Log Creek and Sink Creek.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    I haven't launched there in the past because I have a 2WD truck and didn't want to get stuck, so I appreciate one more place to launch. I'm sure the ramp isn't finished yet. I bet they will likely pre-form the last two slabs out of the water and then slide them into place at the base of the existing ramp. I think that's how most ramps are constructed, but maybe I'm wrong. I like it because it will give us shallow draft guys another place to launch and keep us away from the madness in Steinhatchee during scallop season. I like to come and go from the shallow ramps in the area instead of the main ramps this time of year. Generally the people using the backcountry ramps know ramp etiquette. I doubt a lot of large heavy draft stuff is going to launch there regardless of how nice the ramp is since I have heard there are rocks in that creek ;)
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,413 Captain
    I saw a guy a few years ago come in and load a 22ft Mako at less than half tide so there will be some deeper draft boats.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    They do them that way then they push them in the water, that how the new ramp that is across the cafe was done in horseshoe, we poured the concrete, the new one at the park was poured in the water.
  • AMobleyAMobley Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    Once these ramps are done guess kayak fishermen and other smaller more "primitive" boats can kiss good-bye some "peaceful" and quiet fishing on Rocky Creek. It'll be airboats galore! Some locals in the area told me some mucky-mucks with bigger boats leaned on Dixie County whining about Steinhatchee getting too "crowded".

Gotta wonder where a county as poor as Dixie County came up with the $$ for this project. Some locals also said the money could be better spent on greater needs that would benefit more Dixie County residents.

Good. nothing like trying to get in and having a kayaker with a dumb bewildered look on his face blocking that tough right turn coming into the creek and wondering why Im up on plane. cow creek is your spot, big dog! :huh
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Rick1-2 wrote: »
    They do them that way then they push them in the water, that how the new ramp that is across the cafe was done in horseshoe, we poured the concrete, the new one at the park was poured in the water.

I hope you are right, I was wondering if something like that would be possible. It kind of makes sense because it is a lot harder to cast concrete under water. :) Like I said I am glad they are improving it just think this is overkill. I too have a 2wd truck and launch there often, never really a problem with getting stuck the sand is nice and hard, the only real problem was the boulders in the water that your trailer had to bounce over in order to launch. I only launch a jon out of there, I would never consider anything much larger but I have seen people launching pontoon there.

Luv2yak - I also launch my kayak out of there sometimes and I got news for you, air boats have been launching from this site long before any kayaks were ever around, excluding Native Americans.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 311 Deckhand

Just wait till they install the pay station with a $15 ramp fee like Cedar Key. They'll make their money back real quick.
    Most of the airboaters can dry launch anyway, so the existing sand ramp was fine for them to use if they wanted to launch there. I've seem them load and unload at Hagans Cove which really has no boat launch to speak of, just a beach. On a low tide it's a mud flat for half a mile.
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    That one statement is a load to unpack. How do you know where the money came from? Most coastal waterway projects are funded through a combination of local and state dollars. In many cases, federal dollars are thrown in the mix. Grants, loans, rural development funding, etc. You ever buy something in Florida and have to pay sales tax? Well, then, you've contributed to this ramp. Congratulations on funding a project you disagree with. They're fixing to begin some marina improvements in Cedar Key, and that money is coming (at least partially) from a rural development block grant.

So assuming that Dixie County is footing 100% of the funds. What are some the things that would benefit "locals" more? I just so happen to be a genius and can tell you I know the answer. Dixie County needs....MONEY. Where does money come from for such a poor and impoverished community? From me and you and anyone else that uses the services of Dixie County.

If you want to take your head out the sand for a minute and follow me down this path, you might gain a little education. A simple google search indicates that the FWC Florida Boating Improvement Program (FBIP) earmarked money for this project last fiscal year. So, yes, poor ole Dixie County got the money from somewhere. They get the money (essentially for free) to improve their facilities and lure in more boaters. As a result, such boaters will spend time and money in Dixie County. Dixie County can then spend the money however they want, such as services for locals. Sounds like a good deal for Dixie County AND the locals.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    majorgator wrote: »
    That one statement is a load to unpack. How do you know where the money came from? Most coastal waterway projects are funded through a combination of local and state dollars. In many cases, federal dollars are thrown in the mix. Grants, loans, rural development funding, etc. You ever buy something in Florida and have to pay sales tax? Well, then, you've contributed to this ramp. Congratulations on funding a project you disagree with. They're fixing to begin some marina improvements in Cedar Key, and that money is coming (at least partially) from a rural development block grant.

So assuming that Dixie County is footing 100% of the funds. What are some the things that would benefit "locals" more? I just so happen to be a genius and can tell you I know the answer. Dixie County needs....MONEY. Where does money come from for such a poor and impoverished community? From me and you and anyone else that uses the services of Dixie County.

If you want to take your head out the sand for a minute and follow me down this path, you might gain a little education. A simple google search indicates that the FWC Florida Boating Improvement Program (FBIP) earmarked money for this project last fiscal year. So, yes, poor ole Dixie County got the money from somewhere. They get the money (essentially for free) to improve their facilities and lure in more boaters. As a result, such boaters will spend time and money in Dixie County. Dixie County can then spend the money however they want, such as services for locals. Sounds like a good deal for Dixie County AND the locals.

Not to mention boat and trailer registration fees which kayakers are immune to.
    Tight Lines, Steve

surfman wrote: »
    Not to mention boat and trailer registration fees which kayakers are immune to.

Sometimes I use an electric trolling motor on my kayak. Hence, I am required to have, and do have, a current Florida boat registration.
    True but it's way cheaper to register a canoe/kayak. My old Gheenoe was 7 dollars a year if I recall correctly. I was missing that little tax break around my birthday this year when all the boats, trailers, camper, and two cars needed to be registered. It makes me laugh when people tell me that cyclists such as myself don't pay road taxes.
  • GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 311 Deckhand

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,479 AG
    GatorCity wrote: »
    Just wait till they install the pay station with a $15 ramp fee like Cedar Key. They'll make their money back real quick.

Not a Cedar Key guy here, if I go that way it is by boat. What's up with Levy County with that? Don't they realize they are cutting their nose off to spite their faces when it comes to other revenues? Perhaps they don't care, maybe they think draconian launch fees will keep the unwashed masses away. :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,942 Captain
    that's gonna make one hell of a duck blind!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    “Priority is given to projects in counties with a population of 100,000 or less and coastal counties with a high level of use by non-residents.”

Florida Boating Improvement Program (FBIP) Grants to Dixie County, FL

2007-08
    $225,000 Rock Bluff Boat Ramp

2009-10
    $43,500 Jena Boat Ramp Improvements
    $31,000 Demory Creek Boat Ramp Improvements
    $46,500 Horseshoe Beach Boat Ramp Improvements

2010-11
    $324,795 Horseshoe Beach Boat Ramp
    $294,965 Demory Creek Boat Ramp, Phase II

2011-12
    $243,325 Jena Boat Ramp Improvements

2012-13
    $22,000 Yellow Jacket Boat Ramp
    $50,500 Rocky Creek Boat Ramp Improvements

2015-16
    $286,200 Rocky Creek Boat Ramp

$1,572,785 TOTAL

Meanwhile…

Dixie County is classified as a Professional Shortage Area for Primary Health, Dental Health, Mental Health and Medically Underserved.

Dixie County is ranked...
    ...59th (out of 67 counties) in Health.
    ...4th of Least Educated counties in Florida.
    ...3rd of Poorest Counties by Income in Florida. 98.7% of public school students in Dixie County are eligible for free/reduced lunch programs.

With $1.6 million of state and federal grant monies through FBIP, Dixie County should have some pretty good boat ramps (for non-residents’ use), shouldn’t it?
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    I live in dixie county and i don't see how its poor, people here just don't like to sped money on necessities, but put an airboat on the side of the road and see how fast it sells, or hang out at a gas station on a friday afternoon and look how much money is spent on beer and lotto ticket.

Come to think of it those are necessities in dixie county
    Rick1-2 wrote: »

Come to think of it those are necessities in dixie county

LOL.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,333 Captain
    GatorCity wrote: »

Love it
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,931 AG
    Know how to tell a truck is from Dixie county?

The tires are worth more than the truck...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Know how to tell a truck is from North West Duval county?

The rims are worth more than the truck...

FIFY

:rotflmao:rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Know how to tell a truck is from Dixie county?

The tires are worth more than the truck...
    You see any of those billboards from the anti-tobacco folks? They say something like "1 year of smoking will buy you a new.....". They seem to tailor the billboards to the region. There was one in Dixie County that said "xxx months of dip equals this set of mud tires..."
    You see any of those billboards from the anti-tobacco folks? They say something like "1 year of smoking will buy you a new.....". They seem to tailor the billboards to the region. There was one in Dixie County that said "xxx months of dip equals this set of mud tires..."

I don't dip snuff or chew tobacco but it sounds like they might be a growing colony of 5 libtard residents there now. :Spittingcoffee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I saw that billboard too, always makes me laugh. I see it quite a bit along 19 in both directions. Gotta know your target audience I guess.