Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Grouper Countdown!

Who's ready for some catch and filet grouper action?!!!

Replies

• SalmononeSalmonone Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Don't forget red snapper. Plenty of those still out there. 9 whole days to fish for therm.
  • C F MikeC F Mike Posts: 140 Deckhand
    We are. As of now next weekend is looking good
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 349 Deckhand
    We went out Saturday scouting, several good gags, and we lost count of red snapper. It will be nice to actually put them in the fish box, instead of catch and release
  • bigd9116bigd9116 Posts: 101 Deckhand
    How far offshore from crystal river do you need to go to find red snappers / depth? Thanks
    I dove in 45 feet last weekend and there was plenty of them. I kind of think they're pushing the grunts out, saw very few grunts. I wonder how tough it will be to catch a legal one (16" right?), seems to be a ton of little ones. We put some chum out and they come right up to the back of the boat.
  • scoop337scoop337 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I thought Grouper was open already. Glad I didnt make a trip over. When does grouper open? Also the 9 day ARS season dates? Thanks
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,463 Officer
    scoop337 wrote: »
    I thought Grouper was open already. Glad I didnt make a trip over. When does grouper open? Also the 9 day ARS season dates? Thanks

Both gags and ARS open June1.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,581 Captain
    Maybe 1 out of 10 red snapper are just barely legal in most areas 65' or less. It's sort of like the red grouper fishery a few years ago where we had to wait for them to grow up. I hope they're still around next year.

They do seem to be competing with the grunts.
  • red010480red010480 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Hoping to see some reports from tomorrow as I plan to head down to Steinhatchee on Thursday to give it a try. what is most preference, trolling plugs or live / dead cut bait bottom bumping? Also water depth to look at this time of year for gags??
    The gags have an app that lets them know when the season opens. :wink

Butch and I whacked them the last week of June last season. But they were nowhere to be found when the season opened on July 1. My bet is that the same thing will happen tomorrow.

Gonna try on Wed or Thurs anyway.
    I believe there is some truth to that. While diving out of season they come right up and stare at you like they want to be friends or something. In season the second you descend they scatter like rats.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 589 Officer

Butch and I whacked them the last week of June last season. But they were nowhere to be found when the season opened on July 1. My bet is that the same thing will happen tomorrow.

No ****. I pre-fished last year and was pulling up 30" plus fish. Next weekend I couldn't catch a grunt.

I was planning on fishing Sunday but it didn't work out. Hopefully Saturday looks good since it is the only day I can fish the next two weeks. May run out a little and play with the snapper. A little birdie told me they were out there but would like to see for myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 349 Deckhand
    We couldn't get our bait to the bottom Sunday. We were fishing in 35-65'
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer

lol that's true, we're going to try it this weekend maybe a couple are having problems with they're cell phones
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I agree with everyone........year after year, I tear them up and then when the season starts........nothing........its comical.....stupid smartphones...........I could have sworn one time diving, I saw the incredible Mr. Limpet staring at me from behind some rocks through his beady little eyes and eyeglasses down there sounding the alarm to all his friends to run away.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,397 Captain
    We targeted red snapper for the first part of our trip yesterday but didn't limit out until 11:00 when the new moon tide began to crank really hard. We looked around for gags after that but didn't get any keepers. Just shorts and 1 legal red grouper. We moved in from 65 ft to 47 ft and found that the gumbo got thicker the closer in we got. It was pretty bad at 35 ft where there was a ton of boats anchored up.

Not many gags were caught by the rest of the boats out of Riverhaven in Homosassa. At least by the guys who came in while I was cleaning up the boat. Folks were blaming the new moon tide and the gumbo.
    We targeted red snapper for the first part of our trip yesterday but didn't limit out until 11:00 when the new moon tide began to crank really hard. We looked around for gags after that but didn't get any keepers. Just shorts and 1 legal red grouper. We moved in from 65 ft to 47 ft and found that the gumbo got thicker the closer in we got. It was pretty bad at 35 ft where there was a ton of boats anchored up.

Not many gags were caught by the rest of the boats out of Riverhaven in Homosassa. At least by the guys who came in while I was cleaning up the boat. Folks were blaming the new moon tide and the gumbo.

Gotcha, Thanks
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    We headed out to 20 ft where the gumbo was bad, real bad. Went looking for cleaner water and had engine problems. Did not wet a line. Limped in. If we had fished, not sure what would have been our strategy. ??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 599 Officer
    70' down there is loaded with gags, best fishing I've seen since the red tide. Reds are around too finally. I'm headed out I the morning for two days fishing the RFK tourney. Should be some big fish with the weather forecast, I'd expect some gags over 30 to be weighed.
    NICE!!!!!!! Good Luck Contender and let us know how it goes.
  • billard88billard88 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Ruff One wrote: »
    We headed out to 20 ft where the gumbo was bad, real bad. Went looking for cleaner water and had engine problems. Did not wet a line. Limped in. If we had fished, not sure what would have been our strategy. ??

Sorry, what is gumbo?
    It's a filamentous algae that often blooms around here in the springtime. It starts out on the bottom where it covers everything and often causes fish to move away. It dies off after a week or two and starts to float in the water column until it eventually decays. It coats your line and bait unless you fish on top of it with a free line.

It normally starts in April when the water is clear, which lets light reach the bottom. Normally, it's gone by mid May. It's very late this year. But everything is strange every year in the Gulf.

Here's a picture from the Hunting snotty bottom thread that was taken last weekend:
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    Thanks Doc on explaining it. I am not usually around during the summer, but I've never seem it so bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 659 Officer
    Found plenty of red snapper, gags, and AJs in 60-80' this week.

AJs were covering up 5-8' relief spots. It was ridiculous. They were pests! We'd move a few miles and there would be another 50+ AJs sitting under the boat. We never got a chance to drop live bait for gags until we came in to like 60'.

Red snapper everywhere... almost all 16-18". Very cookie-cutter.

Found 4 gags all in the 7-9lb range. No red grouper, surprisingly.

Also saw and caught some trigger. Nothing like having AJs and trigger closed cause of "over fishing", yet you cant drop baits past them because they are so sick.
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 599 Officer
    Fished Friday and Saturday in the reeling for kids tournament. Current was a real pain deeper than 140', we lost a few very large grouper and caught plenty up to 20 pounds. Big King weighed just shy of 60 30 hours after we caught him. I'm sure it was a 60 when we boated it.
    That's freaking awesome, thanks for posting.

Fished Friday and Saturday in the reeling for kids tournament. Current was a real pain deeper than 140', we lost a few very large grouper and caught plenty up to 20 pounds. Big King weighed just shy of 60 30 hours after we caught him. I'm sure it was a 60 when we boated it.

Excellent job Chris!