Home Conservation Forums

Redfish Heads for Crab Bait

In my total of 2 Blue Crab Traps.
I've been saving the heads off Reds I caught this Winter , maybe 6 or them.
I'd like to put them in my Crab traps, that's why I saved them. Reds have a big head and will last for 5 days.
Can I transport them to my traps ?
I'm not running all over the water , just Back country to bait my traps for the Summer , then Snook fishing the rest of the day.
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Let me know when and where you'll be traveling and we'll discuss this issue then:blowkiss
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    Probably not legal, fish must be landed in whole condition. It would be a risk to try to explain what you are doing to the officer, not sure he would have a choice in the matter.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,699 Admiral
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    Let me know when and where you'll be traveling and we'll discuss this issue then:blowkiss

Can I contact FWC and let them now my Transit Route and time.:huh
    Or just go for it..Balls to the Wall , Screw that Manatee Slow Speed sign...:grin
  • DemonDemon Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Just freeze them in water so you will have a block of ice surrounding them. Put them in your Yeti so they will stay frozen for 5 days. That should give you time to get to your traps. It would take an idiot of an officer not realize you don't have a freezer on board so they must be old carcass.
    Can I contact FWC and let them now my Transit Route and time.:huh
    Or just go for it..Balls to the Wall , Screw that Manatee Slow Speed sign...:grin

pick your poison my friend
    Using that logic..
    InBound from Cat Cay , Bahamas. Red Snapper on board. Season is closed here and I'm clearing Customs in Charlotte Harbor.
    46 Bertram inbound after 3 weeks fishing the Banks in another Country and living onboard.
    What do I do to clear your inspection.
    If I'm outbound from Charlotte Harbor at daylight and have 5 frozen Redfish heads and 2 crabtraps are you arresting me because you can ..
    Officer discretion is a valuable trait. Sometimes the guy you wave too and chat with let's you know things that the guy you gave a BS ticket to never will...just sayin...
    who said anyone was arresting you?????????? Relax yourself.....
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    If they were frozen in a block of ice then you may be able to get away with it. just pre-rig them with a piece of twine through the eyes so you can tie them down in the trap while still frozen solid. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,457 AG
    You can dispose of the carcass using it for bait, heck you can use the whole fish for bait if you please..
    I do.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I guess once you catch you limit of 1 red for the day ...you can do with It what you want.
    Your allowed one and that's what you got. Chowder , Fried Fingers or Fire ant bait..it's up to you.
    I've got 6...parts.
    They were Landed in Whole condition originally, now there being Repurposed to continue the cycle.
    Frozen Heads and a couple 10 pound Jacks whole.
    MY Son is LE..and he's good to me, so I tell him every bad thing his Mother does...:grin
    Otherwise...:kick