Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Some slow fishing

It has been pretty tough lately...The conditions continue to spiral down generally. We have a lot of dirty water down this way and if you get up near the St. Sebastian..it is tannin stained like iced tea. Most mornings I can pick off some Trout and snook early on but that's where it stops. I have been struggling to catch a Redfish. I'm only seeing 1 - 3 fish most mornings if I really work hard and they have not been eating. There are some nice big trout around if you get good conditions and can get some bait.
Also, I can catch a lot of small trout...which I did with my older brother on Friday. He's 76 and does not cast with the accuracy needed for fishing mangroves so it limits things. Thankfully, we caught 25-30 trout since I don't know how many trips we will ever do together...so it was a success on that level....and we did go look at a couple nice fish that would not eat.
With it being a holiday weekend..and hot as fire...I wanted to stay away from busy ramps and traffic areas. I picked off some small snook and a trout which had me looking for a Red early. I was not optimistic knowing how things have gone lately so I was really happy getting this guy.

20160529_074254_zpsua0j1awc.jpg

This makes #36...but I am falling further behind last years numbers.

There have been some of these nice trout too.....but you need conditions to be optimal....summer is here.

20160526_091227_zpsafmpltyz.jpg

20160525_115222_zpsf8n3utan.jpg
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice going Joe. Hope things get better.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,361 Officer
    I hate to hear it has been a poor water quality. Keep up the good work though.
  • tryacctryacc Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Great work only dream about catching that many fish!
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    You're still catching though man... It does seem a little slow lately.. I haven't been out since last sunday.. Got a slot snookie, but it was the only hit I got all morning.. SLOW :banghead
  • jamesbayjamesbay Posts: 41 Deckhand
    great report! at least you are still catching fish
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    So, I struck out on getting a slottie before the close....I had a 26 3/4 inch on Monday and a 27 1/4 inch yesterday....:banghead
    It is still about the same fishing wise. Water got kinda dirty down south but I managed some fish. Yesterday, I fished down south again...even bumped into Flec (John) and we were both off to a slow start. Water was very poor. I finished with 4 snook..all small except the one...and 3 Trout but one was a nice one I sighted up.
    Today, I woke up a little late...and with things what they were down south I decided to go fish up north and look around. I launched at christiansens and kinda made a mistake..I went north but what I did not know was that the further north I went..the worse the water was. I picked up 2 keeper size trout and two small snook...and a catfish and a ladyfish. By the time i could see well...I went and looked at some spots but the water was wrecked. I started south and stopped at a big point and got a mid twenties Trout. I kept moving south and the water got better...good enough to see this...

20160601_100838_zpsrcac7azk.jpg

So...That's #37

I fished one more spot...got refused by a pair of cruising Reds...but caught a 25 inch snook.
    On the trailer by 11AM
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FlecFlec Posts: 705 Officer
    Good job there Joe on #37. I finished Tues with 6 small snook,1 trout,a ladyfish,a nice size cuda that was fun,a small jack, and a puffer. Saw 2 reds and both refused to bite. Maybe the new moon in a few days will stir up the bite some.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    Right on man.. A few people I know who fish down that way agree it's been slow.. If you ever get a wild hair and decide to trailer your boat an hour or so north let me know.. The redfishing up here is stupid good right now.. tailers for days.. I caught so many reds today by the end I was paddling by tails like meh .. Good work down there man keep on keepin on
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Right on man.. A few people I know who fish down that way agree it's been slow.. If you ever get a wild hair and decide to trailer your boat an hour or so north let me know.. The redfishing up here is stupid good right now.. tailers for days.. I caught so many reds today by the end I was paddling by tails like meh .. Good work down there man keep on keepin on

Thanks for the kind offer Mark....Maybe I will drag my yak up there one day.

The heat was on today with broiling sun and no wind. Bait was almost non existent in my spots...Caught a small trout on plastic and a real good one on bait...but by 8:30 I was sticking to my underwear and wanted a boat ride...So, I ran out the inlet and caught 7 of these....

20160602_090444_zpsxjuzzvi6.jpg

Little for the species...but way stronger than any trout that ever lived.

Topwater guy was out there too...getting them on.... yep ...topwater!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    Man my wrist, is sore this evening.......
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way