Home Tropics

West End

privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
Next month we are taking a family trip for a few days to West End. I typically clear there and then run some where else but this time is different. I am bringing my 3 grandsons for their first fishing trip in the Bahamas. Or as my middle grandson used to refer to it as the "Bhomis".:wink
they are 6,7 and 8 and this one has to be special. most of the fishing I am good with, but I need some swimming spots for them with lots to see. I know that the rock wall next to the beach at OBB is good but I would like to go to some spots further away, maybe Indian, Wood or some of the areas on the back side. any recommendations would be a help. thanks.

Replies

• bkw4287bkw4287 Posts: 140 Officer
    Memory Rock isn't far and is relatively shallow/lots to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    i've heard double breasted cay is very nice. sounds like a great trip.

• Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    I would suggest Mangrove Cay; it's a bit of a hike from WE, about 20mi ENE on the bank. With kids that age I would say it would be better than Memory. On the South side there is a somewhat sandy area for them to swim and fool around. Bring some snorkeling gear for them. You should be able to find some conch in the grassy areas.
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Sandy cay is the small island a few miles WNW of West End. Bring some squid or cut bait and the boys can feed the stingrays there just off the beach.
    Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    awesome thank you everyone I appreciate your help.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    Be careful swimming along the OBB jetty to the left of the beach on an outgoing tide! I was nearly swept out to sea once! At the top of the incoming might be the best.

Take some scraps over to the fish cleaning table as there are some pretty big snappers in that mini-canal!

There is a sunken sailboat about 1/3 mile north of the middle of Sandy Cay, north of WE. It's on the bank and used to have part of the mast sticking out. When we snorkled it 10 years ago it was covered in Lane Snappers! There was a current so figure out where to anchor upcurrent and then maybe toss back a long line in case the younger ones need to hang on.

I'm 99% sure this is the wreck...... It's in 5-7 feet.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    at that age catching tropical fish will be the best entertainment .....bring slurp guns, nets,and a tank to hold their catches for a while....

ps: doing this all day will still not wear them out..
    that looks like a good spot Gary. Sandy will definitely be our first dive spot and I will find that wreck.
    Good idea Salty and ur right there is no WEARING them out. my wife says that all the time and she is the one falling a sleep while the boys are still bouncing off the walls!
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    your worst enemy while snorkeling in the Bahamas is not sharks but current...with a group like you have its hard to keep together...it looks like there is an area around the backside and to the S E that would have less current and still let them snorkel and find stuff .... another fun thing is to tow 'em around while they look for conch and other things....

i forgot to ask...how big is the boat ??
    we will be very careful for sure. I plan on being in the water with them and there will always be someone on the boat just in case. the boat is a 28' MckeeCraft Freedom.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    This was taken on the beach just past Teaser's at OBB looking east. There is a small jetty and the remains of an old dock too. There probably are some gorgeous conch shells in a pile there too...... Just walk east down the beach......

An easy spot right from the beach....

009.jpg
    thanks Gary that looks perfect for them.