Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Middle Grounds via Cedar Key

Looking to make the run out to the middle grounds out of Cedar Key this weekend weather permitting. The vast majority of my experience in cedar key has been out of a flats skiff and small bay boats. A few questions for any offshore folks that launch from cedar key.
The tide is forecasted to be low, +1.3ft, bottoming out just after our departure time. We draft about 2.5 feet and I am assuming we should have plenty of water if we use the outside ramp and stick to the main channel that leads out to seahorse. Correct?
We will be spending the night on the grounds. Do we need to pay for 2 days at the ramp? How does one go about doing this?
I would live to have a full live well, does anyone have any advice on procuring live bait? We will not have time to set traps prior to our run so bait shops, sabikis, and castnets are the only options.

Thanks in advance for any local knowledge that can help us load the coolers.

Replies

• kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 658 Officer
    CaptCrabs wrote: »
    Looking to make the run out to the middle grounds out of Cedar Key this weekend weather permitting. The vast majority of my experience in cedar key has been out of a flats skiff and small bay boats. A few questions for any offshore folks that launch from cedar key.
    The tide is forecasted to be low, +1.3ft, bottoming out just after our departure time. We draft about 2.5 feet and I am assuming we should have plenty of water if we use the outside ramp and stick to the main channel that leads out to seahorse. Correct?
    We will be spending the night on the grounds. Do we need to pay for 2 days at the ramp? How does one go about doing this?
    I would live to have a full live well, does anyone have any advice on procuring live bait? We will not have time to set traps prior to our run so bait shops, sabikis, and castnets are the only options.

Thanks in advance for any local knowledge that can help us load the coolers.

Plenty of depth; the marked channels are plenty deep. No rocks or anything around.

Plenty of bait at seahorse reef; set up a chum block and get cranking. Shouldn't take long.

Dont know how the parking passes work overnight cause I keep my boat at the marina :driver:
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    You better think long and hard about leaving a truck and trailer unattended out there........plenty of horror stories on this forum about things walking away........and that is during the daytime when there are people around.
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,062 Officer
    We're making the run out there as well but driving over to Steinhatchee and leaving out of there. Nice ramp, plenty of overflow (safe)parking and can usually get live pinfish from the Sea **** marina.