Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mosquito Lagoon guide recommendation needed

Looking for guide recommendations for fishing for Reds. Looking for big fish and on spinning tackle. Mosquito lagoon or Indian River.

Replies

• Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Do some research and talk to some guides before you make the trip. The lagoon has been devastated by algae blooms, zero vis. water, fish kills and overall sh**ty fishing conditions. Probably only going to get worse as the weather heats up and the blooms get worse.

Might have a chance if you find someone who likes to fish chunk baits on the bottom.
  • wptaxidermywptaxidermy Posts: 62 Deckhand
    That's a bummer! What's with the algae blooms? Is this something that normally happens in the summer? Sorry, but I'm obviously not from around here. That's why I'm on here trying to do some research.
  • jamesbayjamesbay Posts: 41 Deckhand
    algae blooms happen every now and then when the water chemistry goes bad due to run off from lawns and septic tanks polluting the water. the algae sucks the oxygen out of the water killing fish and the natural grass which the ecosystem revolves around. however the fishing is still fair and still not to hard for a guide to put you on fish. if you find some cleaner water you will most likely find the fish. shallow minded fishing charters is my favorite. he has a youtube as well so check that out as well.
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    That's a bummer! What's with the algae blooms? Is this something that normally happens in the summer? Sorry, but I'm obviously not from around here. That's why I'm on here trying to do some research.

I think what we are experiencing now is a lot worse than an occaisional bloom that's seasonal. Some experts think we have reached a tipping point where man's development has finally caught up with what the lagoon can tolerate.

Take a read here: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?214565-The-current-state-of-our-lagoons

I'd think long and hard before I spent mucho pesos for a trip where you might not be able to see any fish.
    Net 30 wrote: »
    I think what we are experiencing now is a lot worse than an occaisional bloom that's seasonal. Some experts think we have reached a tipping point where man's development has finally caught up with what the lagoon can tolerate.

Take a read here: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?214565-The-current-state-of-our-lagoons

I'd think long and hard before I spent mucho pesos for a trip where you might not be able to see any fish.

Thanks for the info. That is exactly why I am on this forum. It's a shame to see this happening out there. Hopefully they can resolve this and protect this piece of water. Watched Blair Wiggins fish this water a bunch of times and hoped to do it myself someday. Hopefully it'll happen! Hoping my kids and future grandkids get a chance as well. Need to kick the Feds in the **** and better protect this place.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,045 AG
    Need to kick the Feds in the **** and better protect this place.

Feds cannot..* and will not * do...what locals and state is unwilling to do. It is a local problem...with each area of the lagoon system having it's own special issues... The local people better get in their mind that *it is up to them *... Better not be waiting on Trump " to make the lagoon great again " :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    The local people better get in their mind that *it is up to them *... Better not be waiting on Trump " to make the lagoon great again " :wink

Well said!
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    Check your pms
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,462 Moderator
    Capt Pat Murphy is a fine man that's been at it a long time. I'm confident he'll show you a good time.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • Six DigitSix Digit Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    you can lso try Brian Clancy. He also owns The mosquito Lagoon Fishcamp. The last time I finished with them I caught a slam. Not many people can put you on a swim in the lagoon he is been there for ever and fishes many times a week. (386) 566-6303.
    Capt Steve,
    You can fish or make excuses,
    You can't do both!!!
  • CJB11CJB11 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Now Duckman I love your posts you are a fishing machine but why is it now Trumps thing to deal with. This is clearly a state and local issue that all politicians in the area need to stand up for. The incompetence of local and state along with federal legislatures have caused this country to become weaker, less accountable and not stand up for what is right. It all starts on the local level in which you are correct, Trump has bigger problems and so do we all if we let professional politicians run this country. I say we all stand up for term limits and it should be a maximum of 12 years for any office and the time is from age 35 and 47...Give business people a chance and let them give it a shot. Imagine a country where common sense and a reason to fix things and build a resume mean something again and living of the dole of others goes away. Just me two cents
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,045 AG
    CJB11 wrote: »
    Now Duckman I love your posts you are a fishing machine but why is it now Trumps thing to deal with. This is clearly a state and local issue that all politicians in the area need to stand up for. The incompetence of local and state along with federal legislatures have caused this country to become weaker, less accountable and not stand up for what is right. It all starts on the local level in which you are correct, Trump has bigger problems and so do we all if we let professional politicians run this country. I say we all stand up for term limits and it should be a maximum of 12 years for any office and the time is from age 35 and 47...Give business people a chance and let them give it a shot. Imagine a country where common sense and a reason to fix things and build a resume mean something again and living of the dole of others goes away. Just me two cents

?? Maybe our school system needs some work.... Reading comprehension does not seem to be as strong as it could be...

The local people better get in their mind that *it is up to them *... Better not be waiting on Trump " to make the lagoon great again

Not sure where you got that I thought it was Trump or some other Presidential hopefuls responsibility.... or maybe you were confused by the sarcastic use of the carnival barkers catch phrase " Make America great again" ...... :huh
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Yeah Mosquito Lagoon is nasty and unfishable. Definitely don't fish here..cause you know..all the fish have packed up and left. I wouldn't want you to waste your time ;)
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    If you are set on catching big fish I would say your best chance is to go with Fred... He fishes out of ponce inlet just north of the lagoon and consistently catches big fish on just about every charter he runs.. http://fishing-guy.us/
  • FishyGirlFishyGirl Posts: 715 Officer
    We were in the lagoon this past weekend and reds were there. Not sure why people are saying there are no fish. Maybe you should try looking the actual lagoon water before you say that. There are many great guides in the area - Pat Murphy, Jim Ross, Mark Wright, and the list could go on and on. Give one of them a call and they will give you the honest scoop.
    "America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
    --Abraham Lincoln
  • Trout TamerTrout Tamer Posts: 36 Deckhand
    FishyGirl wrote: »
    We were in the lagoon this past weekend and reds were there. Not sure why people are saying there are no fish. Maybe you should try looking the actual lagoon water before you say that. There are many great guides in the area - Pat Murphy, Jim Ross, Mark Wright, and the list could go on and on. Give one of them a call and they will give you the honest scoop.

Went to the Lagoon with Pat Murphy this past Saturday. Had good success with trout to 4lbs, saw numorous others larger, missed at least 6 others on topwaters. Mullet are thick. Pat is a great guide and I highly recommend him for that area.