Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

New Smyrna Surf Fishing

Heading to the beach in New Smyrna next week; was wondering if anyone had any information on the surf bite out there. I know I'm on backside of the pompano bite, but was wondering. Any information is helpful. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,243 AG
    It's going to be whiting. Get one of the weights with the 4 prongs of metal sticking out, they call them sputniks i think. They hold the bait rather than let the surf carry it all over the place. If you fish the jetty, incoming tide. You don't have to throw it 100yds out, if you do you're casting over the fish you're targeting. I was in Cocoa surf fishing 2 weeks ago and 20yds from the beach in 2.5 feet of water a large either redfish or tarpon breached the surface right in front of me. Unfortunately he wasn't interested in bucktails and i couldn't get him hooked.

Good luck.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 539 Officer
    Head a little south of NSB and go down to either Bethune Beach or Canaveral National Seashore. Things are calming down now, which makes for some great light tackle surf fishing. I typically use a 7'6" medium action trout rod and spinning reel with 8lb. mono. As far as rigging goes, I just use a simple carolina rig, 1/2 ounce or 1 ounce egg sinker with about 2 feet of 20lb. fluoro and a 1/0 circle hook. For bait, either use sand fleas if they are around or bring along some frozen clams and cut them into small strips. You don't have to cast far, just right out into the trough. A bull whiting or drum on light tackle is a heck of a lot more fun then on a monster surf rod.
    Florida Impressions | Adventuring in the Sunshine State
  • BigPaulie69BigPaulie69 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys!!! Will do!!!
  • S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,057 Officer
    Bethune or CNS would be the place.
    Bethune or CNS would be the place.

Was thinking of hitting Bethune this weekend .... just wondering how crowded it'll be
  • S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,057 Officer
    Off the hook, get there early...
    Off the hook, get there early...

rgr