Skip to main content
Home Boating

Egret group 5-21 Fishing Report:

Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 953 Officer
edited June 3 in Boating #1
So Ryan M was fishing on my boat and Phil was on Frank's boat. Pete went with his partner to Marquesas to fish the reefs. In the AM Frank headed to the Ocean side near Cudjoe to his favorite haunt where he found my rig in the #1 spot . Lots of Tarpon rolling and moving around there but no takers. Caught some jacks. At the end of the tide we headed to the backside to catch the incoming and we found permit there at our second stop near Barracuda. Frank found nothing over near Mud Keys. Ryan and I found a nice small school feeding on a shallow flat and I cast about 5 seconds after Ryan to the leading fish but he hooked up first and scared the rest of the school out once the fish screamed off leaving me on trolling motor duty to chase his fish. We landed about a 15 pound Permit in 15 mins. A text book case of casting in the shallows. We almost had a double header there. Our plan was to stay out back and end up at Bahia Honda bridge late in the day in hopes of catching the worms since the moon was full. We hit some other spots along the way but only saw a couple of cruising tarpon. We ended up at the Bridge around 5:30 and saw Frank rolling up there too. We found a couple of other Egret clan there including one guide in a Moccasin who thought he owned all the water behind his rig from the new bridge to the old bridge and screamed at us for getting within 100 yrds of his stern. I think phil got him angry too as he thought Phil also drove too close to his Moccasin. Typical Bahia Honda etiquette obviously lacking from this guide’s Tarpon experience. So we poked around for a few minutes but there was not the activity we usually see prior to the hatch and I was not feeling the magic there so we left to get away from the crowd of yelling yahoos playing bumper boats and tried to find some peace and happy fish. So back to a spot near Big Pine and within 10 mins I saw a really nice single permit finning on the edge of flat while we were idling in. Ryan didn’t see him but he had is rod ready. I was driving the boat and did not want to take my eyes off the fish to grab my rig. After some orientation, he saw the fish and made a perfect cast and that fish zeroed in on the crab along the surface and attacked it but missed as Ryan pulled a little too early. So the fish was still on it and the second time was the trick. Fish on and 20 mins later Ryan caught Permit #2 at 28 pounds successfully released to fight another day. Two text book set ups and presentations. We kept fishing and jumped 5 baby tarpon until dark and then headed in. So our totals for the day were Two permit, about 8 jacks, about 10 cudas and a couple of snappers and some jumped small Tarpon. Pete had a great day on the reef with a boat load of bottom variety with decent size. Not sure how Frank and Phil did but I told them to take Key Lois out of their GPS if they want to catch one during the day.

Ryan's personal Best to date:
ryans%20permit_zpsywg5dw71.jpg

Replies

• roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    awesome fish!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    Made the trek down to fish with Frank after his partner canceled. Had a few shots at Tarpon but didn't work out. I didn't have any live bait and fished artificial on Saturday. Since I'm a fly rod owner :shrug I brought it along and attempted with little to no luck! Frank was determined to catch one on fly and he mainly kept the buggy whip at his side and gave it his best.:Rockon
    Frank fished with Ryan on Friday and did catch fish. I'll let him give the details. All in all the best part of the trip was the food & liquor and spending some time on the water with friends!
    :drink

I did enjoy driving the Hell Bay Marquesas around great little boat that runs big! Guess the little dog was in the big dogs way from making money!:rotflmao
    I guess some people think they own the water and you need to conform to there rules!:fishing
    I can respect there intentions since they were polite about it. But think they need a reality check and next time it won't be as pretty.:blahblah

1_zpsncfurtcr.jpg
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    The weather was great. My fishing partner cancelled as I was 5 minutes from picking him up.Needless to say it is his last invite. Ryan took off work to fish with me Friday and Flatsboy came down on Saturday. Both saved my trip. I hate fishing alone. Once again Glen showed us where to fish and I chased the Tarpon on the fly in another direction . I guess its a disease I have. This quest for them on the fly. The first year I saw Russel Kleppinger (Captain Russ) on the Bahai Honda bridge was not a great experience. He ruined the run over there. He mentioned we could get shot by someone for fishing behind them. Bear in mind there is over 200 ft of distance there in between us. Once you say something like that you just crossed the line. They were bottom fishing. I did consider him a friend but I really do not need friends like this. Selfish redneck guides who think they own the place. We left the Bridge and rode to my Tarpon spot on Key Louis which was a bad call. Should of went to the Permit hole Ryan and I got Tarpon on Friday. Had a blast overall.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I really enjoyed fishing with Glenn and Frank and exploring new areas. Both of you guys have an excellent work ethic and worked hard for your fish. Dinners with flatsboy, saltwater junkie and the whole crew where a lot of chit was talked was cool. Taking my dad and girl back to that "joint" next week.

Frank and I poled our butts off Friday (I mean all over the place) and only saw one fun King school of 100 small bonefish that wanted nothing to do with Frank's fly despite him giving the best presentation possible considering that my spot wasn't very far out and they were fast moving fish. I think Glenn is right chumming them in really increases the chances!! We went 1/2 on small tarpon around 8-10 pounds at the end of the day. It was my first day in the area and we had fun so it was a win. I applaud Frank's commitment to the fly rod it's something I haven't learned yet and his pursuit of that first tarpon is dauntless!

Glenn, you are a real hero of mine in the south FL fishing community! Your mapping product, FL Marine Tracks, changes the game for my fishing everywhere I take it. Getting an opportunity to fish with you was a real treat. You shared a lot of knowledge and man you worked your butt off to put me on those fish. Great spot at the end of the day I'm not used to seeing permit swimming in deep water like that! I had the school earlier dead to rights though. Overall a trip I will never forget. Thank you!

Definitely want to fish with you guys again next year if not before.

Be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Sounds like you guys still had a great time
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold