Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Big Bend meet and greet time ?

2»

Replies

• Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    capt louie wrote: »
    I hear the Loft has some new management. I guess oceanmasterconk (forum guy) still owns it ?

One of the reasons we go there.

Nice idea to go to a place owned by a forum member. We've never been to the Loft but I've seen the pics from previous get togethers - and it looks great. We're traveling that day anyway so the where doesn't really matter.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Ask huntmaster (chuck) or Allenr in the general hunting section or pm him, we can probably always use some help..

I and I would like to know where to get some fingerling cats... seriously.

Thanks for the info. :)

As for the fingerlings - I do not know. They used to be a common menu item at the mom and pops near the inland lakes and rivers. Actually found a place last month that serves them - and they were delicious! Don't laugh - Sam St. Johns on 441 N of Ocala.

Forum member bswiv might have a source - he has a seafood market in the Jax area, is a gator fisherman and knows the St. Johns pretty well - here's a link to one of his websites. http://benandlouann.com/.

When I say 'years past' I mean years past. :) Been retired now for nine years or so. :hairraiser Anyway - the game commission provided the catfish. They'd stock Lake Eaton with mostly fingerlings, the kids would catch them on cane poles, and volunteers would clean and bag them. It was a beautifully planned and run event with lots of activities to keep the students waiting their turn to fish occupied. The last year I went the fish were larger.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,119 AG
    Thanks, will check out Sam St. Johns
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    26th sounds great to me............if it changes let me know, but we will plan on being there on the 26th.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Thanks, will check out Sam St. Johns

Thought you meant commercially. :)

There's also (check first) a Sam St. Johns on 200, west of I-75 (if it's still there). We haven't eaten at one in a long time. On the way back from Fernandina got hungry and stopped in. Typical fried stuff - but the coating, the grits, slaw and hushpuppies are pretty good. Six fish on my plate, and I think it was under $12.00...made two meals out of it.

What about Stumpknockers, Reds or Blue Gator?

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    StandOutI2 wrote: »
    I'd be more game for the 26th as well.

Bar or Restaurant open on Sunday??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,211 Moderator
    Flash wrote: »
    Bar or Restaurant open on Sunday??

Yes. I just stopped there today. New owner (not sure Oceanmasterconk is still involved?). The in side is now NON SMOKING..
    Some , in the past , were put off by it. In outside area smoking is allowed and they have put privacy fence around the perimeter of the back yard. I will post a pic of the menu in a minute. Plenty of parking including if you bring your boat .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Sounds like a good idea to me! Since I haven't been fishing I won't be telling any lies this time but will enjoy listening to everyone else talk about the big ones that got away! Lies always sound better after a couple of cold ones! I'll be there for sure!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,211 Moderator
    Menu ..

I had a couple of Mil lites @ 1.50 today ..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,860 Captain
    Thanks capt louie for going out of your way to check things out.
    Suffering through those beers and all, making sure things are up to everyones standards. :rotflmao
    Much truth in that, but funny. Way to take one for the team!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    I will be there just about any day as long as the party is still going on later in the afternoon. Some of us gotta work ya know. :wink
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Blue Gator in Dunnellon is excellent, but everything is fried.......but great tasting, but this menu looks good to me to....sounds excellent......can't wait.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,737 Captain
    ripnlips wrote: »
    I will be there just about any day as long as the party is still going on later in the afternoon. Some of us gotta work ya know. :wink

I say ( not that I'm in charge but we have to pick a date) let's make it official for the 26th at the Loft at about 2:00 PM plus for those who work and might want to fish that day :). How about a new thread Louie making the announcement and seeing who are attending?

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
This discussion has been closed.