Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Charcoal

sorry not fishing, but this is the Grilling King "Flash" hangout.

Tired of lump, all I brands I seem to get look like most of it has been through a food processor.

It seems for a long burn, briquets seem to be the best. Can anyone, from experience recommend a good quality brand to try. Kingbird, publix, royal oak, one with the best additives would be helpful.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,740 Captain
    Kingsford, their competition brickettes burn hotter if your looking for that.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,224 AG
    Lowes has the big bags of Kingsford 2 for 9.99. We bought 4 yesterday. Should get me through the 4th of July.

I have one of those starter chimneys that go over the side burner of your gas grill, heats them up in no time with no lighter fluid.
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 772 Officer
    I need this for a Komodo style smoker/grill with a 10-12 hour burn. Where can you buy the Kingsford competition?
    Costco, but I wouldn't use it in a Komodo. I think there is a reason you are supposed to use lump. Good luck
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    I use both. I use 4 to 5 briquettes to start the lump. But lump lasts really long. After cooking I shut it down and just add a little next time.

That's on an Acorn cooker.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • rwatersrwaters Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    You might want to try Stubbs. It does not burn as hot as Kingsford and works well in my drum for long cooks and my Acorn for grilling. It is a little more expensive. I get it a Lowes.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,737 Captain
    I don't have any issues with the Big Green Egg brand, it isn't cheap, it's the same as Rockwood which is less expensive. Royal Oak lump seems to also be a favorite with many but I've never used it.

I don't use briquettes because of the additives and the fast burn, and as mentioned, the lump that doesn't burn is simply used again.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Just kingsford for me. Maybe 4 to 8 briquettes for a smoke. Tried Cowboy lump one time and all it did was burn way to fast and snap and pop all over the place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Well I bit the briquet, and went to lower and bought the kingsford brand on sale. I did a 10 hour cook, a little too hot @250+-, the butt was done early as needed, however a little dry. I had plenty of briquets left and they all burned evenly, and much easier to maintain heat. My recent experience with lump of all brands has not been good burning too fast and few bigger pieces and some of them were too big and had to be broken down. I did some more research on the briquets and the additives according to many have no or little effect and some have switched back to the briquets. I did buy some Stubbs lump, and will give it a try next time.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    lakeman wrote: »
    Well I bit the briquet, and went to lower and bought the kingsford brand on sale. I did a 10 hour cook, a little too hot @250+-, the butt was done early as needed, however a little dry. I had plenty of briquets left and they all burned evenly, and much easier to maintain heat. My recent experience with lump of all brands has not been good burning too fast and few bigger pieces and some of them were too big and had to be broken down. I did some more research on the briquets and the additives according to many have no or little effect and some have switched back to the briquets. I did buy some Stubbs lump, and will give it a try next time.

A little dry. Were you aiming for pulled or sliced? Did you wrap in foil at some point? What was the final IT?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,737 Captain
    Flash wrote: »
    Just kingsford for me. Maybe 4 to 8 briquettes for a smoke.

I know you are a good "smoker" but you can smoke a pork butt, or even a rack of ribs, for how many hours with 4 to 8 briquettes? That many would last about an hour wouldn't it? I'm just asking, seems like the briquettes would have to be huge, and not the standard ones I'm use to. Fill me in Flash...inquiring mines etc. :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Flash wrote: »
    A little dry. Were you aiming for pulled or sliced? Did you wrap in foil at some point? What was the final IT?

I did not wrap it in foil, never thought about it, I'm most certainly not a BBQ pro. It was a Pork shoulder for Boston but, I cut the bone out of it and used string to hold it together. I have cooked a number of chickens/turkeys/BB on the Akorn and the usually/easily turn out suburb. I did cook this on a little hot for I needed it to be done by a certain time, I guess not a good idea. The first true butt I did was a big 11-12 hours this one was easily done in 8-9 hours with no stall.
    lakeman wrote: »
    I did not wrap it in foil, never thought about it, I'm most certainly not a BBQ pro. It was a Pork shoulder for Boston but, I cut the bone out of it and used string to hold it together. I have cooked a number of chickens/turkeys/BB on the Akorn and the usually/easily turn out suburb. I did cook this on a little hot for I needed it to be done by a certain time, I guess not a good idea. The first true butt I did was a big 11-12 hours this one was easily done in 8-9 hours with no stall.

Removed the bone? Elizabeth...this is the big one!!! Costco sells only boneless butts, I must have the bone in. Im not sure that the smoking temp is that important, but IT is critical. Myron Mixon has won more money in BBQ comps that anyone, 2nd isnt close. He cooks everything ( I think even whole hog) at 350. Sometimes you just buy a bad piece of meat.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    Last butt I did on my Acorn was to internal of 190. Then I wrapped it in foil and put in a small cooler and left it for 2 hours.
    Was perfect.
    "You'll get your weather"