Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Reds and trout CR with an offshore boat

I am finally at a point in my life soon where I can go fish one day each week during the week. I have a 25 ft hydrasport cabin boat. I really don't want to run 40 miles offshore that much on a regular basis by myself.

Trying to save 15-20k buying an additional bay boat I want to learn how to catch reds and trout past the last channel marker leaving CR with this 25ft hydrasport.

Any suggestions and advice appreciated.

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,609 Captain
    I don't know how you could ever fish for reds with that boat. There are already plenty of trout on the outside grass beds in 10-15 ft of water. They should be out there all summer.

You can get them casting jigs or by drifting bait strips on a Carolina rig. You may need to us a drift sock to slow you down.
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 571 Officer
    Had the same problem (question) when we moved here in 1994. Doc's right, you won't have much luck trying for reds in that boat and you'll use a ton of fuel for a few trout. If you can, get a good used shallow water boat with a decent motor and you'll use it much more than the big one. If you can only have one boat, check out shallow draft bay boats. They're available and often found at good prices on Craig's list or The Boat Trader. Took me a few years to learn that offshore boats don't do well in the Homosassa/Crystal River area. Now I use my Gheenoe way over half the time, probably closer to 80% of the time, and I love the boat! The bottom here is unforgiving! Good luck!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,198 AG
    There was a 19 skiff on craigslist the other day for 5k with a Johnson 88. Seems like it would be perfect for this application
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 471 Deckhand
    There were few few times in the past when my flats boat was out of commision but I needed to take people red/trout/flounder fishing. We loaded up my offshore boat, a 24' cuddy, and headed to the spoil piles along the CR channel. The fishing can be very productive there there and surprisingly varied. We have caught reds, trout, flounder, jacks, pompano, shark, cobia, sheephead, and tarpon all along the rocks and debri piles. It's a bit of a run from Homosassa, but its the only place I know where you can catch all that from a larger/deeper draft boat. You need of course to be a little careful if you're unfamiliar with the area, but you can easily find anchorage on either the south or north side of the jetty that will but you within bait slinging distance. Look up some of Shuterking's posts, he fishes several spots along there regularly in his center console. Good Luck!

P.S. Mike, sorry for giving away your secret!
  • shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 869 Officer

No problem, spoil banks are great for bigger boats ...... just have to wait and bait
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,737 Captain
    shuterkng wrote: »

No problem, spoil banks are great for bigger boats ...... just have to wait and bait

Yep...what he said^^^.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Reel UmReel Um Posts: 260 Officer
    Thanks for the info so far. I will first give the big boat a try and if it starts to get in the way I will look for a small used bay boat