Skip to main content
Home Boating

tow ball hitch follow up rec...

CharcoalToddCharcoalTodd Posts: 94 Deckhand
Will be trailering a 22ft 6 inch bay boat from a chevy silverado 1500. What is the best tow ball hitch recommendation? Is reese a good product? Need to purchase one within the next week. boat to be towed will be posted....

Replies

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 1,012 Officer
    Worry about class rating, not brand. Focus on bolted to the frame rather than bumper. I doubt the ball makes much difference (other than being the correct diameter), think more about the ball mount and the receiver. Strive to have that dual axle trailer level when traveling; there are ball mounts that have drop or lift to help with that.
  • CharcoalToddCharcoalTodd Posts: 94 Deckhand
    i have the standard factory installed tow hitch to a 2013 chevy silverado 1500. I have no experience with this and need guidance.
  • CharcoalToddCharcoalTodd Posts: 94 Deckhand
    boat weight is 2050lbs without trailer
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,022 Admiral
    That hitch is probably not factory, not sure there is a factory hitch but, I am sure it is fine for what you want to haul. set up the hitch so that the boat trailers level. the receiver is usually a 2" square box tube. they are available at any place that sells hardware. If there is a trailer store near you take it to them and ask them to look at it and see what kind of advice they can offer. All you should need is a receiver and a ball, you may also what a lock.

Do not mount the ball to the bumper of the truck. Post a picture of the hitch if you can.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • In Too DeepIn Too Deep Posts: 124 Deckhand
    Factory hitch should be more than adequate. The tongue of your trailer should specify which size ball (most likely 2") and yes, Reese is fine. If you can have the trailer level then measure the height of the tongue, and do the same for your truck to see if you need a drop or rise mount that would be best...if not, just buy one with a small drop (you can flip it over if you need higher) since you'll probably be close assuming your truck isn't lifted.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,646 AG
    i have the standard factory installed tow hitch to a 2013 chevy silverado 1500. I have no experience with this and need guidance.
    Learn to back the trailer up in a large parking lot or at home, not at the boat ramp.
  • bigh20bigh20 Posts: 251 Deckhand
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Learn to back the trailer up in a large parking lot or at home, not at the boat ramp.

Excellent advice! Would also add you should come up with a preramp checklist to complete before backing down the ramp and tying up a slip. Nothing gets negative attention quicker than taking forever to launch your boat as you rig it on the ramp with boats waiting to put in. It is a fast learning curve but with practice will get it down easily enough!
    When you start moving trailers around with a fork lift everything goes backwards again.
    I couldn't even guess how many trailers I have backed up with cars, trucks and forklifts.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,288 Officer

More than adequate. Your good to go.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 926 Officer
    While practicing backing. Try to get truck and trailer straight before you start to back
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Add an inch to the height of the ball to compensate for tongue weight. The straight trailer and truck makes it much easier. Another tip is to go dead slow when you back.
    Add an inch to the height of the ball to compensate for tongue weight. The straight trailer and truck makes it much easier. Another tip is to go dead slow when you back.

Same thing with docking, don't go any faster around docks then the speed you would like to hit the dock at.