double breasted cay

silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 359 Deckhand
if your headed to grand this season please consider bringing a baby coconut tree sprout to plant on double breasted in a effort to replant the tiny island. hurricanes washed away coconuts in the past and would be great to get her looking good again.

Replies

• dolce vitadolce vita Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Thats a good call. I'll keep it in mind for my future trips. If anyone feels like they want to participate I have a tree nursery and could help supplying coconuts.
  • silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 359 Deckhand
    just a reminder to throw a coconut sprout in a bucket and bring it with you on your next trip over. that beautiful place needs a few trees.
  • Alley CatAlley Cat Posts: 192 Deckhand
    Located in Winter Springs. Heading over this month. Where do I get a coconut sprout?
  • bustinbustin Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    This sounds like a good idea, but check with customs. I am thinking importing plants is not allowed?
    the rich guy that bought big grand cay is putting millions into his private resort and has brought 50 or so coconut trees over so, it is all good.
  • bluechipbluechip Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Great idea. i remember having the time of my life running around that island as a kid... How fun it would be to plant a tree and bring future generations back and show them the tree you planted...
    would love to see a hundred coconut trees on that little island.
  • captrcmcaptrcm Posts: 49 Deckhand
    where would you get a real sprout though? Thinking it'd be a lot more effective to jump start it with a 5 or 10 gallon sized pot vs tiny seedlings.
    coconuts are easy to grow. when you find them on the ground, gather as many as possible and knife cut two small cuts on the bottom where you put them on the ground and a cut on the top, put as many as you can right next to eachother in a corner of your property, don't dig a deep hole just an inch or two, let nature do its thing.