Home Tropics

Sandy Point

privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
Can anybody point me in the right direction for a place to stay in Sandy Point? We have been trying to get in touch with Oeisha's resort but no luck so far. Thanks.

Replies

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    found a spot will report upon our return
  • IronworkerIronworker Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Sorry, I didn't see this thread sooner. If you need more info just holler.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    please let us know where you ended up. thanks

We ended up staying at Pete and Gays. It is just off what I think is the public dock which is where we left the boat. Spartan rooms but clean and everything worked including a coffee pot. they have a restaurant and bar that was good too. great cracked conch. we fished off Lucaya and the NW Channel on the way down and hit a lot of smallish Tuna most of which were small yellowfin and blackfins. Lost a good one that wore thru our leader. Fishing was slow but the diving was beautiful. there is a great wreck in shallow water near Hole in the wall that is awesome. we ended up with four Mahi we worked hard for and some Hogs. Really nice people down there and a cool place.
  • jphsaltyjphsalty Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    How was the docking situation at the public dock ? And did you take on any fuel there? We are trying to make a trip over at the end of the month but there's not much information out there.
    We ended up staying at Pete and Gays. It is just off what I think is the public dock which is where we left the boat. Spartan rooms but clean and everything worked including a coffee pot. they have a restaurant and bar that was good too. great cracked conch. we fished off Lucaya and the NW Channel on the way down and hit a lot of smallish Tuna most of which were small yellowfin and blackfins. Lost a good one that wore thru our leader. Fishing was slow but the diving was beautiful. there is a great wreck in shallow water near Hole in the wall that is awesome. we ended up with four Mahi we worked hard for and some Hogs. Really nice people down there and a cool place.

thanks for the report. sleepwalker stayed at pete and gays some time ago and also spoke well of the place, although spartan. is there fuel available there? supplies/food/provisions? what about docking at the public dock open to NW providence channel? security/safety in and around the area?

would appreciate the details. thanks in advance.

The public dock was okay. Both the docks are exposed and on the right wind could be bad. the public dock is pretty deep on the left side for sure, even at low tide it was 3-4 feet. the dock is high off the water and there is no ladder, water or electric. the fuel dock is just 500 yards or so away and that may be another option. the fuel was readily available and was $4.50 per gallon for gas. there is a small grocery close to the dock just up from Pete and Gay's. we took all the rods in at night and had one dock line disappear during the day. overall I think it is worth the run.
    privateer19, thanks for the details and information. appreciated.

have you ever been through the backside of sandy point, around the north corner to the east side (see pic)? i might stay on the boat in that area. seems there is enough water. thanks

We never went on the back side so I can't say but from what I see on the charts it looks to be doable. we had very little wind and wave action on the dockside while we were there even though on Thursday it was blowing 15 plus out of the NE. Saturday morning was the only time we had any waves and the wind had swung out of the SW. there are spots where we saw sailboats anchored between Sandy and Rocky points. hope you have a safe trip, good luck and let me know how you do.