Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bill to kill Ethanol filed

SB 238, that would repeal the FL law requiring that all gasoline offered for sale in the state include a percentage of ethanol, has been filed by Sen. Evers and co-introduced by Sen. Gaetz (the next President of the FL Senate), both from the panhandle area. The bill very simply repeals the provision that forces ethanol on all Floridians, regardless of the intended use of the fuel. SB 238 will be heard this week in the Senate Communications, Energy and Public Utilities Committee on Wednesday. Info on the bill is below, and there is also a site that will identify your Senator; please contact him or her to express your concerns about ethanol.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/0238

http://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,842 Captain
    I like it.... but what are the federal requirements regarding ethanol? All too often someone in a state legislature will propose something that everyone wants, knowing full well that federal law may not allow it. If someone can post the facts about this possibility I'd love to read them...

Hope it passes.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Ethanol has a long history. It has been used and discontinued in the past. The amount of subsidies that the US government pays to farmers is ridiculous. Instead of growing for food consumption, the farmers are growing for alternative energy and getting larger profits on their crops. Ending ethanol is one step in cutting useless programs and reducing government spending. Florida's strength in moving forward
    would be to get other states to propose similar legislation.
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    I find it interesting that "Buy American" doesn't keep all you good ol boys in the ethanol camp, drinkin' the 'shine "Made in the USA".
    A foreign source for our energy needs is AOK when it comes to me having to put it in my boat, is that it? Sure you all talk real big about "Buyin 'merican" but when the Gubberment provides aid to good hard-worki' farmers so we can keep the money in OUR country that is NOT OK? what about the policy you all have against Wal-mar'?
    Well you ain't got the sense god gave a buffalo fart if you don't easily see that the ethanol would have to be replaced by FOREIGN oil. AND that the Supply of that oil is controlled by OPEC and the only way the USA could get more Foreign oil would be to cause the world market to have a great demand for a limite supply and any money savings from not giving the USA farmers subsidies would be spent paying more per barrel of crude to the ARABS. And the cost benefit would never ne realised, and infact you would pay MORE for it in the end.
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Please post this in other areas of the forum. Is any group setting up prewritten letters or recommended talking points for people writing letters? We need this to get done for our economy.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,842 Captain
    Some folks really like those ethanol subsidies.... Now if marine engines worked properly with ethanol, everyone would be happy - except for those pesky high food prices that are a direct result of using food as a fuel....

Notice that I didn't even have to do one bit of name calling, and I'm putting my name on anything I post....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 684 Officer
    Frisbee wrote: »
    I find it interesting that "Buy American" doesn't keep all you good ol boys in the ethanol camp, drinkin' the 'shine "Made in the USA".
    A foreign source for our energy needs is AOK when it comes to me having to put it in my boat, is that it? Sure you all talk real big about "Buyin 'merican" but when the Gubberment provides aid to good hard-worki' farmers so we can keep the money in OUR country that is NOT OK? what about the policy you all have against Wal-mar'?
    Well you ain't got the sense god gave a buffalo fart if you don't easily see that the ethanol would have to be replaced by FOREIGN oil. AND that the Supply of that oil is controlled by OPEC and the only way the USA could get more Foreign oil would be to cause the world market to have a great demand for a limite supply and any money savings from not giving the USA farmers subsidies would be spent paying more per barrel of crude to the ARABS. And the cost benefit would never ne realised, and infact you would pay MORE for it in the end.

Mr. Frisbee, with all due respect, the proposal to repeal ethanol doesn't need to increase consumption of foreign oil one bit. There is plenty here in the USA, we just need to drill for it - that would help the economy. The farmers that are subsidized to grow corn for fuel additive are being falsely manipulated and need to get back to a market-based economic model. If corn prices need to be raised, so be it - if the market will bear it.

Oh, and while I realize your misspellings are meant as some sort of demeaning humor, our God is a capitalized word in the Christian religion. Just sayin'.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

• MoganSlayaMoganSlaya Posts: 131 Officer
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Some folks really like those ethanol subsidies.... Now if marine engines worked properly with ethanol, everyone would be happy - except for those pesky high food prices that are a direct result of using food as a fuel....

Notice that I didn't even have to do one bit of name calling, and I'm putting my name on anything I post....

Well said Capt.........:thumbsup

Assembly Solutions LLC
    "solving ALL your assembly needs"
    Put down the instructions....and call for a qoute!
    305-815-3886
  • doctodddoctodd Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Mr frisbee......think about how we aren't doing any drilling right now off our coast(other countries are) and then repost your thoughts.
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 684 Officer
    OK, the bill passed out of the committee at noon with only one negative vote. A few Senators mentioned that they had heard from constituents. There was a fair amount of confusion about how the repeal would affect the Federal law, but that issue was explained to the satisfaction of the committee.

This is the first step in what will be a long process - there may be another committee stop in the Senate and the House still has to move the companion bill. Session for 2012 is the 10th of January through 9 March, but committees are meeting now. Continued contact with your senators and house members is helpful!!