Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Middle grounds.

I'm looking into planning a middle grounds trip out of steinhatchee mid June. Can anyone tell me if the red tide last year had affected the area? Also if anyone would be willing to give me a general base number from steinhatchee so I can get out there and start searching for bottom. Thanks.

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Middle grounds faired pretty good.
    Take any heading west-north west until you hit in the 120' range and start looking at your bottom finder. You should find some pretty amazing bottom.
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • MackokidMackokid Posts: 918 Officer
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Middle grounds faired pretty good.
    Take any heading west-north west until you hit in the 120' range and start looking at your bottom finder. You should find some pretty amazing bottom.

You see, it's replies like these that make this forum work. People helping out other people. He's not giving out his spots but is giving enough information that the OP should have a good starting point. Thank you for not being a jacka*s (like most others on this forum) and helping someone out!
    "History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,608 Captain
    You can get good general GPS coordinates from Google Earth. The high areas of the Middle Grounds are quite visible. Put your cursor on any spot and the Lat/Lon can be read off the bottom bar.

The southern and western areas of the MG were not affected much by the red tide of 2014. The other areas are recovering pretty well according to reports. At least for snapper and porgies.
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 602 Officer
    Grounds are loaded with fish, lots of outsized gags this year in the 30-40 pound range which is a little uncommon. Gags are abundant everywhere this year though and is shaping up to be a banner year.

As far as the grounds go, there's a west ridge and an east ridge, sometimes the fish are high sometimes low. Generally your biggest fish will come from small obscure spots. Lots of numbers online for the grounds, you just need to land somewhere between 28 41 and 28 13 N-S
    And 84 12 or more west.
  • adrouseadrouse Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone that's basically all I was wanting was to find out how far we were going to be running and if the fishing was affected any from what I see I got all the answers I needed. Thanks again.
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    adrouse wrote: »
    Thanks everyone that's basically all I was wanting was to find out how far we were going to be running and if the fishing was affected any from what I see I got all the answers I needed. Thanks again.

Good Luck and have a Safe Trip!
    we will be watching for Your :fishing report
    :wink :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg