Home Navionics

New Aerial Mapping for The Keys

mikenavmikenav Posts: 857 Officer
Aerial mapping of The Keys and Gulf Coast just got fresher and clearer. Below are a couple screenshots (the new shot is on the left in blue, the before on the right and greenish in color) of Navionics charts with new aerial mapping. Augmenting these graphics for your plotter, as well as your phone and tablet apps, is the fact that the depths and contours can be updated, keeping your data as fresh as possible.

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Link?
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 857 Officer
    If you would like a link to see some more mapping and check out your specific area, go to navionics.com and click on the web app. That will allow you to zoom in and out of the area you are interested in. for one-foot contours, click on the logo on the bottom left and then choose SonarChart. For a satellite view, click the menu bar and then select Map Options on the left. Choose Satellite when that comes up.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

mike
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,676 Captain
    The aerial view of my area (Homosassa-Crystal River) is now pretty useless. The view only shows the satellite image over land masses such as the islands. It doesn't show the bars and obstructions in the water the way that my current Platinum card does. Now I'm afraid to update.

The 1 ft contour info is getting really good now.
    Sorry this took so long to get back with you, Doc. Let me do some searching and see what I can come up with.
    Doc,
    I've been looking at the Platinum+ images in your area and I can see what you're talking about. The good news (for you) is the satellite images won't update when you update your card. In order to get the new satellite photos, you would have to buy a new card. In your case, you are fine to update away and not worry about losing the aerials you already have. As with any aerial shots, a lot of the final results depends on time of day, sun, shadows, water clarity, etc.