Warning on Rosie's fuel pumps!

CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
I **** near ran out of gas but I didn't know it. I got 150 gallons at $5.90 a gallon and would have only needed about 75. When I got back I filled up here and it took 145 gallons per side in 150 gallon tanks. After careful calculation and even checking my fuel flow calibration (it was off by less than 10% on 280 gallons) I warned a few buddies. They measured their fuel they took on the pump is off by 40%!!!!!!!!! So I paid not $5.86 but 8.24 per gallon and **** near ran out of fuel in 9' seas coming home and had no idea I didn't have 60 + gallons left.
Take a 5 gallon jug and fill it.

and I got a filter full of shells.. and a screw.
I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
"“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,317 Captain
    dang, Keith, I saw the pics of your "additives" on FB, but didn't know you got screwed on the amount of fuel you got. Looks like Rosies is going back to the old days of fuel in the Bahamas.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I didn't want to place blame without confirming. I figured my flow meter could have been off by 50%.. nope.
    Confirmed by others now that the pumps are WAY off on flow.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    With fine equipment like this who would have thought. Had it not been for predicted storms on the ride home ID have only gotten 100 gallons and only needed 50 to get home. Id have run out 30+miles out. There were swells up to 9' so I made the call to come on LWI one motor shut down in lake worth, the one with crap in the filter.

d879c1610d4fba99a172edcfd98a4593.jpg
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 438 Deckhand
    not good thanks for the heads up
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,188 AG
    No fuel quantity gauges on the boat? That might have tipped you off.
  • silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 361 Deckhand
    rosie's pumps are being upgraded right now. i have sent thousands of dollars of pump upgrades from wilson petroleum in ft. pierce.
  • SterlingSterling Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Diesel being upgraded also?
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    New tanks, lines, and a clean way to get it there??
    2003 Viking 45C
  • RMcMasterRMcMaster Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Will the pumps be down for a long period of time? Plan a trip next week hopefully they will be operational and dialed in
  • Jagsare1Jagsare1 Posts: 211 Deckhand
    I will let the facts come out before making a decision.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 996 Officer
    Fox Hill
  • Big Dog 901Big Dog 901 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Capt Tater, my name is Clark, AKA Big Dog. I own the green Hatteras on Rosie's West dock. I keep my boat at Rosie's year round. I am probably Rosie's largest fuel customer. When I red your post about the fuel at Rosie's I was concerned for 2 reasons. #1 I buy Lots of Diesel at Rosie's and #2 Rosie needs to know if there is a problem and correct it. I went to Rosie and discussed your post with him. He immediately suggested checking the pumps. We took 55 gallon drums with gallons marked on the drums. The Diesel pump showed 54.1 gallons on the meter when I filled it to where I thought the level had reached the 55 gallon mark. The gas drum was marked at 50 gallons so we filled it to where I thought the 50 gallon mark was. The pump reading was 48.7. I pumped the fuel my self and my mate took a video of the process. While the test would not meet The Florida Department of Agricultures standards I think it does prove that his pumps are not off by 40% as you claim. I am not saying you don't have some sort of issue and yes, Rosie's equipment is not the best in the world but his pumps are as close as you would expect. I keep close track of my fuel burn on my Boat. I fueled up on April 27. I calculated I would take on about 435 gallons. I topped of with 446.5 gallons. I'm Just Saying. I'm sure you had some sort of fuel burn issue, rough seas etc but Rosie's fuel pumps were not the problem. This forum reaches lots of boaters and I hope my tests will shed some positive light
    because your post can hurt Rosie unjustly. I will post the videos for what that's worth.
    Here are the videos of the fuel flow test at Rosie's. Please don't judge a book by the cover, they drug me from the Engine Room to do the test. I have my Engine Room attire on. View the Diesel test at https://youtu.be/LdtfxYYIozI . View the Gas pump test at https://youtu.be/KXaHZNfEsR4

NOW, I have full videos of the test but only posted the final results of each test. After all, watching gas being pumped is like watching grass grow.
  • oldhatoldhat Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Most of the small Boston Whalers on the island use 6 gallon thanks. Would think if it takes 7 gallons to fill a 6 gallon tank they would say something. I run a 43 Hatteras and a 32 Contender. Knock on wood I've never had any problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 361 Deckhand
    yea, big dog i agree....rosie is an honest man and would not ever do that on purpose.
  • ConchyjodyoosConchyjodyoos Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    oldhat wrote: »
    Most of the small Boston Whalers on the island use 6 gallon thanks. Would think if it takes 7 gallons to fill a 6 gallon tank they would say something. I run a 43 Hatteras and a 32 Contender. Knock on wood I've never had any problems.

Good point, 40% off on a 6 gal tank would yield only 3.6 gallons, hard to miss that. Plus they could buy a lot of bush crack beer for the ~$14 screw at the pump. Thanks for doing the test Clark.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    karma sucks man, it really does.

Capt. Tater, Now take this for what it's worth. As you can see Rosie and my self take your accusations very seriously. One thing I noticed was the photo of the gas pump you Posted. The top number (120.10) is a fictitious dollar amount based on 399.9 per gallon ( don't we wish ) posted at the bottom of the meter. The ( 030.0 ) number is the gallons pumped. Is it possible you read the wrong number of gallons when you fueled up?
    If you were checking out, all the charges on your bill seam to run together and the fuel price could have been easy to over look.
    Am I:banghead
    What would Tater have to gain by posting something untrue? I suppose he made up the handful of trash that he out out of his filter, too? And since eleven days passed between his first post and your video, the pumps could have easily been corrected. I got no dog in this fight, but I know Keith wouldn't make something like this up just for the heck of it.
    Wow pottydoc, I guess I need to reed my post again and see where I wrote that he was "making something up". I never said it was untrue. People make mistakes. Please remember, I buy lots of fuel from Rosie and I don't want to pay for fuel I don't receive either.
    You didn't say it, but you, and several others, dang sure implied it. Also, I'll guarantee the shell fragments and screw that came out of his filter weren't from fuel on this side. You got an explanation for them?
    I got nothing to lose and I have a fuel flow meter that I recalibrated when I filled up again just to make sure I wasn't that far off. My flow meter was 10% off .

I'll also tell you that another member went after my trip and did check and came back with the difference that matched mine. He also told them about it so they very well could have (should have)corrected it... I hope they did.

I'm not trying to cause trouble with the man but it would take me about 100-110 gallons to get home the route we ran had a following sea or ran the trough all the way.
    I'll am serious about monitoring my fuel burn when I go on long trips as I've been doing 300miles + on my 300 gallon tanks. I've changed to slick paint on the cat and measured fuel burn with different a ablatives and this seaspeed paint to maximize it. I KNOW MY FUEL BURN. And 150/gallons is MORE than enough to get me home plus I had enough left to almost make it home already. At least across the bank. There is no way I got .5 MPG, my Suzukis simply can't do it.
    Even if my flow meter has issues it wouldn't be both sides.

My warning here is NOT about the fuel costs.. I don't care if he charges $10/gallon, God bless him if he gets that. I nearly ran out of fuel...
    I hope it's all fixed but I also know next time I'll fill a 5 gallon jug first ANYWHERE over there and WILL USE my Mr Funnel which I ordered in the double filter so I can go almost full speed filling up.

mongo was right... ****
    ****, still can edit the auto corrects on FS with Tapatalk.

mongo was right... ****
  • Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,414 Officer
    rosie's pumps are being upgraded right now. i have sent thousands of dollars of pump upgrades from wilson petroleum in ft. pierce.

so problem the problem was solved before Big Dog made his video?

Big Dog can you comment?
    Toothy, all I can say is that as soon as I saw the post from Tater I went to Rosie, discussed the problem and he said lets test it. We did and the results are noted. Like I said, I think I buy more fuel there than anybody. I don't get any kind of discount therefor it was in my best interest to resolve the problem in my mind. I don't have a clue what happened in Capt Taters case. All I know is when I checked the flow the next day (after hearing of the issue) the flow was spot on. I won't pay closer attention to my burn and pumping volume because I already do.
    Rosie is rebuilding the fuel dock and up dating the equipment. Yes it may take all year to get completed after all the wheels turn very slow in the Bahamas. They are on "Island Time"
    Great Fishing to you all
  • C Skip RC Skip R Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Quit going their for fuel a long time ago. Always a different story.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Man, makes me feel old school. We always had a fuel "stick" to check both tanks whenever we topped off. My Dad never trusted gauges around saltwater.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • producebproduceb Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    I have never had an issue at Rosies. My fuel gauges have been broken for years , my gauges that show how much I burn are almost exact when checked. Every time I have fueled at Rosies it matches what I expected.
  • JollyhollyJollyholly Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    No one more honest than Rosie. In the Bahamas. No one!
  • oldhatoldhat Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Filled up there on Saturday. Showed I burnt 98 gal, took 101 to fill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]