Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

What tide chart to use Marathon

Can someone tell me what tide chart to use for this area off Marathon Atlantic side and NOAA forecast too.

Is this called Hawks Channel right ?

Thanks...........

Replies

  • Steve GSteve G Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Go to Noaa and it gives you the areas, you can get the weather and tides. I used it today. Maybe not as specific as you need it. Just trying to help.
  • JigmecrazyJigmecrazy Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Steve G wrote: »
    Go to Noaa and it gives you the areas, you can get the weather and tides. I used it today. Maybe not as specific as you need it. Just trying to help.

    Yeh I know where to get the info I don't know what area this is to get the data for. I'm from east central Florida
  • JigmecrazyJigmecrazy Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Jigmecrazy wrote: »
    Yeh I know where to get the info I don't know what area this is to get the data for. I'm from east central Florida

    Here's the list to choose from

    http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/floridakeyssites.html
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 984 Officer
    Jigmecrazy wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what tide chart to use for this area off Marathon Atlantic side and NOAA forecast too.

    Is this called Hawks Channel right ?

    Thanks...........

    Your circled area is not Hawk's Channel. It runs continuous down the entire Keys and is about 1.5-2 miles off.
    From the NOAA site here are your Marathon stations: Vaca Key-Fat Deer Key bridge
    Key Colony Beach
    Vaca Key, USCG Station, Florida Bay
    Boot Key Harbor bridge, Boot Key
    Sombrero Key, Hawk Channel
    Knight Key Channel, Knight Key, Florida Bay
    Pigeon Key, south side, Hawk Channel
    Pigeon Key, norht side, Florida Bay
    Molasses Key Channel, Molasses Key
    Money Key
    Just make sure you are referencing either the bay or ocean and they are quite different. Also be aware that tide (the rise and fall of water) is not the same as current (the flooding or ebbing of water) This is due to the varied mixing of Gulf and Atlantic waters. Here is the current predictor for Moses Channel which is under the 7 Mile Bridge. http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Moser+Channel%2C+swingbridge%2C+Florida+Current

    You will find it very difficult to predict moving water either oceanside or bayside around Marathon. Around the bridge channels just use the current predictor.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • JigmecrazyJigmecrazy Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    TeamTeke wrote: »
    Your circled area is not Hawk's Channel. It runs continuous down the entire Keys and is about 1.5-2 miles off.
    From the NOAA site here are your Marathon stations: Vaca Key-Fat Deer Key bridge
    Key Colony Beach
    Vaca Key, USCG Station, Florida Bay
    Boot Key Harbor bridge, Boot Key
    Sombrero Key, Hawk Channel
    Knight Key Channel, Knight Key, Florida Bay
    Pigeon Key, south side, Hawk Channel
    Pigeon Key, norht side, Florida Bay
    Molasses Key Channel, Molasses Key
    Money Key
    Just make sure you are referencing either the bay or ocean and they are quite different. Also be aware that tide (the rise and fall of water) is not the same as current (the flooding or ebbing of water) This is due to the varied mixing of Gulf and Atlantic waters. Here is the current predictor for Moses Channel which is under the 7 Mile Bridge. http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Moser+Channel%2C+swingbridge%2C+Florida+Current

    You will find it very difficult to predict moving water either oceanside or bayside around Marathon. Around the bridge channels just use the current predictor.

    Thanks those are a lot of options to choose from to get the tides for that area. The area I circled is the ocean side so obviously I would want ocean side. Key colony beach should get me what I need. The owner that I'm renting from calls that area bonefish flats
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,375 Officer
    I would go with the Sombrero Key, Hawk Channel station. You can see Sombrero Key in the extreme lower-middle of your circle.
  • 2thekeys2thekeys Posts: 162 Deckhand
    It really doesn't matter which one you use..I'd use the one that you can get at the the tackle shop you go to....The you can just calculate the correlation to your spots from that one tidal chart.
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 361 Deckhand
    2thekeys wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter which one you use..I'd use the one that you can get at the the tackle shop you go to....The you can just calculate the correlation to your spots from that one tidal chart.

    yeah at most the difference is an inch or so
    Marathon vacation home for rent

    http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 716 Officer
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JigmecrazyJigmecrazy Posts: 18 Greenhorn

    Yeh man that's perfect. Thanks
Sign In or Register to comment.