Charter Fishing Trip...........................What Kind?????

DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 98 Greenhorn
My family and I are coming down to the Keys in late June to drop my youngest son off at Scout Sea Base Camp on Summerland Key. We're staying on Conch key that week and for the first time, are not bringing our boat but are bringing 3 kayaks. My oldest son's birthday is around that time and I am thinking of setting up a charter trip for the 2 of us sometime that week. We have done a lot of fishing off the reefs (yellowtail, triggers, etc.) but have not done any "inshore" back country, flats, or gulf side fishing. I have never done a guided trip before so not sure what kind of fishing I want to do. Probably can't afford offshore trolling so, I was thinking something in shallow. Tarpon, bones and permit sound a little "technical". I wouldn't mind taking a couple of fresh fish home to the wife but not looking to fill a cooler. I really just want to put my son on some fish and create a great memory.

Any insight or input regarding options in that area would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,193 Moderator
    I'd book a charter out of Islamorada, run into the park and for redfish trout snook and mangrove snapper
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,691 Captain
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,378 Admiral
    Tarpon.....Overgrown Sardines that people spend way too much money tryin to catch.....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,193 Moderator
    kmagnuss wrote: »

Apparently you didn't read the OP's post where he stated he did not want tarpon and wanted to take some fillet's home
    It doesn't matter what the OP wants. Tarpon is all that matters. So there. :banana
    BTW he said tarpon 'sounded technical'... not that he didn't want to catch them. There's nothing technical about hiring a live bait guide who will put you on a fish and pretty much do everything except reel it in for you.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,793 Captain
    Apparently you didn't read the OP's post where he stated he did not want tarpon and wanted to take some fillet's home

There are no other fish in the seas than Tarpon to Kmag
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,378 Admiral
    Bet he throws 100 pound Cobia back.
    Just cut the line...let's get back to Sardine fishin...**** Permit , stole my crab...:cool
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I don't even keep a cooler on my boat... I fish for the fishing... not for the eating.

(sorry for the thread hijack... but seriously... go catch a tarpon)
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 576 Officer
    STOP WISHIN'- GO FISHIN' in the Keys !
    COME ON DOWN !
    the >ONLY< GLASS BOTTOM SKIFF CHARTERS IN THE KEYS
    Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?220555-renting-boats#ixzz47asorswi

If I were down there this is who I would charter. Hope your son enjoys the scouting experience. Two years ago my son completed his Eagle Rank.

Juan
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Thank you, SOME of you have been quite helpful, some of you have gave me a needed chuckle today.

Funny you mention Capt. Trammell, a friend of mine worked at Sea Base a few years and is friends with him. He highly recommended him. He is definitely on my short list.
    Awesome. Be sure to share the pics of all the tarpon you guys caught along with the joy and everlasting bond you made with your family while catching the only fish in the ocean that makes lasting memories. :)
  • brokenskegbrokenskeg Posts: 36 Deckhand
    I would just like to throw Jeff Pfister of Dockside Charters in the mix. I have fished with him many times and he is a great guy and has a lot of knowledge. His backcountry trips are excellent especially with youngsters because there is plenty to catch in the everglades. Also he has night time guaranteed tarpon trips , if you don't hook up you don't pay. I've been 6 times , and have had to pay every time. He is out of Islamorada
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Awesome. Be sure to share the pics of all the tarpon you guys caught along with the joy and everlasting bond you made with your family while catching the only fish in the ocean that makes lasting memories. :)

You need medication for that fever.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • firstpriorityfirstpriority Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Capt. Jason Gabriel of Bonafide Fishing. I have chartered lots of Captains in the keys and he is my favorite! You always have a good time, great local water knowledge and with 2 boats he has plenty of options. Look him up on Tripadvisor
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34085-d5857412-Reviews-Boneafide_Fishing_Nature_Charters-Big_Pine_Key_Florida_Keys_Florida.html
  • Matt1340Matt1340 Posts: 122 Deckhand
    If your looking to do yellowtail I know a great charter out of Bud n Marys in Islamorada. Pretty work charters aboard the "Thats Right" big boat with plenty of space and super nice captain. We went out with him a year ago and caught easily around 90 yellowtail within 3 hours.