Offshore St Pete 4/28

Able to get offshore today and shake off the rust. Boat ran well and the game plan worked out pretty well: hit a snapper spot for some Yellowtails then troll for some tuna. Snapper action was heavy, but not as productive as we would have liked. Seems the endangered ARS have invaded our Yellowfin spot, we were even catching them up in the chum line right under the boat. Also had too much action from AJs, Almaco Jacks, and the dreaded chum gobbling remoras. I will say that the 2 Yellowtails we caught were good ones though with the biggest pushing the scale at 7 pounds:

Afterwards we took a shot to see if any tuna were liking on the outskirts our chum line, first pass yielded some sushi.

Replies

• dhandsdhands Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    how far out were you? I've been looking to find a good yellowtail spot, just don't know how far out to start looking.....
  • JerseygirlJerseygirl Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    You can find them in water 100-170' deep. They are sometimes even on the Pipeline. The key is to look for fish shows off the bottom, half way up or higher. Then you have to chum, look online for proper Yellowtail chumming techniques, what works in the keys will work here. Biggest problem right now is that the Red Snappers are everywhere, they have taken over most of the spots we fish under 250'. They are more aggressive eaters than the Yellowtails. If you see yellow flashes in your chum slick you are in business. Free line baits in the slick and see what you get...
  • MoscadorMoscador Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Those are some beauties! Good job, sir.
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 577 Officer
    Jerseygirl wrote: »
    You can find them in water 100-170' deep. They are sometimes even on the Pipeline. The key is to look for fish shows off the bottom, half way up or higher. Then you have to chum, look online for proper Yellowtail chumming techniques, what works in the keys will work here. Biggest problem right now is that the Red Snappers are everywhere, they have taken over most of the spots we fish under 250'. They are more aggressive eaters than the Yellowtails. If you see yellow flashes in your chum slick you are in business. Free line baits in the slick and see what you get...

You aren't kidding about those endangered ARS...I can't fish past 100' anymore on any of my mango/yellowtail spots without it being over ran with the overly aggressive, overly abundant ARS. How long before they start taking over inside 100'. During the winter I was getting them off tarpon in 55' of water on every drop. Not sure how we fix this issue...
  • Flnative75Flnative75 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    We caught some this past weekend in spots that normally doesn't hold ars... Tide was ripping !!