Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

afternoon incoming bite 4/27

A rough morning tarpon fishing the outgoing tide turned into a a good redfish bite on the incoming. Did not see one ****. In fact not much fish activity as we worked towards Chaz. It was little bit rough out there for us in my little 17' boat. And with the tide changing, no bite or fish seen (no tarpon, cobia, or tripletail) we headed inshore for reds to kill the last 2 hrs we had available be had to pick up jr. from school. Worked the shore lines and a few point, nada. Saw some reds pushing over a bar but to skinny and would have spoooked em. Tried to waite em out. moved again.
Was re-rigging a spare rod, put my rod in the holder and SLAM...Jack grabbed the rod was on with a 26" red. A couple minutes later we resume, I am just finishing my knot from earlier and SLAM, Jack tacks my rod and lands another upper slot slob. OK, he has his limit. I trim knot and go, it's my turn, 24" and then another 25"er, my limit. 3 Boats now moving in on us. We pull pull out a few more for release before getting blown off anchor and surrounded by 3 boats less than 100' away. 2:00 time to go.

Replies

• SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Great report!! Are there poons out there in numbers already? From what I heard June is around the prime time I think but we've only tried for tarpon once out in that area.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,730 Captain
    Congrats on a nice two man limit of reds.:thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,054 Officer
    SuperJox wrote: »
    Great report!! Are there poons out there in numbers already? From what I heard June is around the prime time I think but we've only tried for tarpon once out in that area.

It was only my second attempt to hunt for them up this way, even though I have lived here for 11 years. Last year we tried late June, found only one small pod rolling about the time we got into position another boat motored right up to them, same ol story. whole ocean...

I am gonna figure out the tarpon fishing here, eventually. I know the fish will come in from offshore at some point, if not already. Resident fish have moved out of the rivers for sure. The big migration is your shot. when ??? Maybe the fronts before the full moon delayed their push in somewhat. Did not see any schools of macks either, not much bait where we were. mustve been wrong spot.

Did see a couple poons down south last week, 5 to be exact, one which nailed me while I had remote in hand messing w/ postioning and i did not set the hook with one hand. I hear fish are still south of Tampa.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    Nice:thumbsup:thumbsup
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nicely done.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,164 Moderator
    Cool , thanks for the report.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • winshimawinshima Posts: 125 Deckhand
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    permit_me wrote: »
    It was only my second attempt to hunt for them up this way, even though I have lived here for 11 years. Last year we tried late June, found only one small pod rolling about the time we got into position another boat motored right up to them, same ol story. whole ocean...

I am gonna figure out the tarpon fishing here, eventually. I know the fish will come in from offshore at some point, if not already. Resident fish have moved out of the rivers for sure. The big migration is your shot. when ??? Maybe the fronts before the full moon delayed their push in somewhat. Did not see any schools of macks either, not much bait where we were. mustve been wrong spot.

Did see a couple poons down south last week, 5 to be exact, one which nailed me while I had remote in hand messing w/ postioning and i did not set the hook with one hand. I hear fish are still south of Tampa.

I think you'll get them. If it were easy everybody would be doing it right? we might give it another go this summer