Just to balance out all the noise about Prince, Happy Birthday, Glen

2»

Replies

• tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Glen Campbell is an average guitarist, at best.

In this genre, Roy Clark, Ricky Skaggs, and Vince Gill are incredible. Brad Paisley is **** good.

Glen Campbell is neither of those. He is average, at best.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    A much better video (in my opinion) of Foggy with Earl, Steve, Vince, Rod, et al:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,510 AG
    Ole man Bozeman was better than Campbell, He played both parts of dueling banjos and kills it.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,196 Admiral
    I don't think the topic of this post was to say Glen Campbell was the best guitarist during his time in country or bluegrass. It was his birthday and WE acknowledged it and it brought up positive memories for many of us growing up during his era. Heck, I like Jimmy Buffett and he is a horrible musician and singer but is a great entertainer.

I will acknowledge that Prince is a great musician but he is not my cup of tea. Never was.
    I will go pretend I am a lineman for the county now. :wink

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    tankard wrote: »
    Glen Campbell is an average guitarist, at best.

In this genre, Roy Clark, Ricky Skaggs, and Vince Gill are incredible. Brad Paisley is **** good.

Glen Campbell is neither of those. He is average, at best.

Then tell us why he was used as a preferred guitarist for studio sessions for the likes of Elvis, Sinatra, Haggard, Nat King Cole, Phil Spector and many others????
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    conchydong wrote: »
    I don't think the topic of this post was to say Glen Campbell was the best guitarist during his time in country or bluegrass. It was his birthday and WE acknowledged it and it brought up positive memories for many of us growing up during his era. Heck, I like Jimmy Buffett and he is a horrible musician and singer but is a great entertainer.

I will acknowledge that Prince is a great musician but he is not my cup of tea. Never was.
    I will go pretend I am a lineman for the county now. :wink

Exactly.
    I can not tell you a single "Prince" song. Never cared for that type of so called music.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,681 Admiral
    Guy in the background with the purple shirt is a Prince fan :grin

Sorry WE, got to post this vid of a guitar solo Prince did. This is talent -
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 5,334 Admiral
    Rolling Stone magazine has Prince at #33 on the list of top 100 Guitarist of all time.
    Prince is in front of Muddy Waters, Jerry Garcia, Stephen Stills. Mark Knopfler, John Lee Hooker......Curtiss Mayfield.....

I watched a show recently which documented the life of Glen Campbell. He is a very accomplished musician and song writer. His body of work is huge. I enjoyed listening to him throughout my life.
    The documentary focused on his current condition, which is nothing short of tragic and quite disturbing.
    Alzheimer's disease is truly a horrific circumstance, god help those of you who are dealing with it.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    mustang190 wrote: »
    Then tell us why he was used as a preferred guitarist for studio sessions for the likes of Elvis, Sinatra, Haggard, Nat King Cole, Phil Spector and many others????

Carol Kaye played on hundreds, if not thousands of big-name recordings in the 60s and 70s, and she's far from one of the best.

Solid, yes and got the job done, which is what producers generally want. They don't want to hire a flashy player who already has their own name.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,681 Admiral
    Rolling Stone magazine has Prince at #33 on the list of top 100 Guitarist of all time.
    Prince is in front of Muddy Waters, Jerry Garcia, Stephen Stills. Mark Knopfler, John Lee Hooker......Curtiss Mayfield.....

Where does David Gilmour fall in that list? Check this vid out, he make a little tribute to Prince then plays an awesome solo. Start at 4:20
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 5,334 Admiral
    Where does David Gilmour fall in that list?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.