Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore bpk 4/16

We sure have spent more time watching the wind blow than fishing that is for sure! Had an opportunity to spend two weekends in a row in Big Pine Key and finally we got one shot offshore. Best part is I had two friends in town Kai and Ted, so Robin and I got to turn them onto the offshore hunt.

Weather was decent, SE winds 10 to 15, seas 2 to 4. The water temp was hovering around 70, and the Gulf Stream was forecast to be 20 miles south of Looe Key. We left mid-morning the plan was to look for tuna on the way out, but head generally for the stream edge and chase down a Mahi bite if one was out there.

As per plan, when we hit the ups and downs in 500 feet we picked up birds chasing bait and tuna. Rods out, feathers way back and we picked up 2 decent black fin and a small Bonita. One of the black fin pulled the string pretty good, and it was fun to see Ted on the attack!

Not to be outdone, Kai got in the action too!

Things slowed down on the tuna as the sun got higher, so we ran on out to sea and hit a rip line marking the edge of the stream. We pushed out further and found a decent trash and weed line and set up shop for a mahi hunt. It was slow going, but we picked up 3 decent fish, nothing big fairly slow, but steady.
Here is Kai with his first mahi …

I figure we need a bloody cooler shot just for fun –

Back at the dock 2 tuna 3 dolphin, happy crew! Nice way to start spring off

Gotta finish it off with the food picks – we do love our black fin lightly seared!

But Robin found an Italian “Florentine” inspired tuna steak recipe that is awesome. Basically season a thick hunk of tuna like a steak – olive oil, Rosemary, sea salt, lemon zest and pepper then lightly grill it on fire as hot as you can get it. Serious those were big hunks of tuna, and I out it on the grill for 2 minutes a side. Lordy Lordy it is good!

Robin paired it up with a mushroom risotto and garbanzo bean salad, and it was definitely the ticket!

Until next time …
Bo G.
Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,999 Captain
    Good report!! The last 3 pictures is what it really is all about! Great eats after a fun day on the water with good friends :thumbsup
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • tohotimtohotim Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Awesome report! - Thank you very much for sharing this - love to pick up some new ways to serve up the catch. The family is heading down for the month of July, I hope there will still be a shot at the tunas - do you know if they can still be found then? Best fishes!

TT
    The FIRST Amendment...Sponsored by...The SECOND Amendment :USA
  • wacanewacane Posts: 257 Deckhand
    there should still be plenty of dolphin around in july. you'll have to burn some fuel to find them but they will be there. last year we fished late august and crushed them.

Edit: Sorry didn't see you asked about the tunas. and yes on that trip in august we got the tunas too. so I'm sure they will be there in july as well
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 903 Officer
    Great report and Robin did a wonderful job on the prep side.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    ...mmmm- nice!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 817 Officer
    Nice to see you down there tearing it up. Miss you up here in the Tampa Bay area. We'll be down in June from the 12th to the 22nd at Bahia Honda. Hope to be able to find some time where I can pick your brain about a few things before I get down that way. Glad to see you doing so well.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 718 Officer
    Great eats.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 404 Deckhand
    Nice to see you down there tearing it up. Miss you up here in the Tampa Bay area. We'll be down in June from the 12th to the 22nd at Bahia Honda. Hope to be able to find some time where I can pick your brain about a few things before I get down that way. Glad to see you doing so well.

Well look who's here! Hope you guys are doing ok, the dusky is still running great! Say hello to the gang at o'neils for me! Did you ever get your GoPro deep drop mount perfected?

We are down in bpk this weekend but I should be back in St Pete by the end of next week. You going to be around? love to catch up.

Thanks all for the posts, hopefully we will get another shot at em Sunday. So far weather looks right.

Bo
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 817 Officer
    woodytoo wrote: »
    Well look who's here! Hope you guys are doing ok, the dusky is still running great! Say hello to the gang at o'neils for me! Did you ever get your GoPro deep drop mount perfected?

We are down in bpk this weekend but I should be back in St Pete by the end of next week. You going to be around? love to catch up.

Thanks all for the posts, hopefully we will get another shot at em Sunday. So far weather looks right.

Bo

I will be around. Not working at O'Neill's any longer, using my GI Bill and I started college. We have an awesome Go-Pro mount now with a tri-pod design. Sits absolutely still on the bottom in the heaviest of currents. We've had some awesome video with it. I will be around until we head down to Bahia Honda on the 12th. Send me a message when you are heading up.