Night fishing offshore

Thinking a out going out Friday night for the full moon. Never been offshore in my own boat at night, but have to start at some point.

Any pointers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Replies

• z63z63 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    I wouldn't go on the day of the full, better bite a few days before or after
  • therobertbrookstherobertbrooks Posts: 285 Officer
    Not possible since I work Monday-Friday...

• T.CovT.Cov Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    z63 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go on the day of the full, better bite a few days before or after

Fish tend to feed heavily at night when it's full moon from what I have heard. Think thats why he is wanting to get out and try it.
  • seanmurphy243seanmurphy243 Posts: 72 Deckhand
    How deep are you going to go? When I did a full moon trip with Hubbards, I limited out on mangroves no problem. They killed everything we dropped down.
    Probably going out 25-35 miles hopefully.. Although I have never made a run like that at night.

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,144 Captain
    Run out when it is light out...I would not run wide open at night coming in or out. Can't see anything floating well enough.

We did a 3 day trip several years ago on a buddy's 58' sportfish. He wouldn't run more than 10-12 knots in the dark. Even with that, we still ended up hitting something, assuming it was a log or something just happened to be out there...costing something like $8-$10K in damage to the port propeller. Fortunately we had two engines, no other damage like water intrusion...ie sinking... and we were going to be trolling all weekend anyways so we stayed out and just trolled all weekend. Great trip but if we would have been going WOT, who knows what kind of damage whatever we hit would cause.

Make sure you file a float plan and someone knows when you are supposed to be back etc... Be super safe at night would be my opinion....

Tight lines. We are going out Saturday hopefully in that 35 mile range if weather holds. Looks like it is going to.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    Thanks Bly. You guys heading out during the day on Saturday? Looks like the weather is going to be pretty great if the forecast doesn't change.

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,145 Moderator
    Friday's weather looks to be better later in the day, good news for you, trending into a nice lay down. We run at night all the time, we take it slow, keep a keen watch, set the pilot and go. Radar is a nice thing to have, set the proximity alarm etc. A full moon definitely helps with visibility. Sounds like a bunch of fun to me.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,144 Captain
    Thanks Bly. You guys heading out during the day on Saturday? Looks like the weather is going to be pretty great if the forecast doesn't change.

Yes, leaving at dawnish and should be home by 4:00 or 5:00...so don't catch them all...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • MakomenutsMakomenuts Posts: 236 Officer
    I've only done it on a few full moons but we always get on the water in the afternoon, bait up, and then drive out while it was still light. If you have good snapper numbers the bite should be pretty awesome. Then in the morning switch over to grouper for a couple hours before heading in. Good luck