Home Tropics

Bimini, To Dredge or Not to Dredge, the saga continues

Yep, recent aerial photos show RW dredging up the most valuable shallow water habitat in North Bimini Sound. No turbidity curtains, no permits, no care for the environment that they are destroying.

Also i you have been following the saga in the Bahamas, you will know that the government will stop at nothing to keep getting handfuls of cash from the foreign investor. Death threats, hit squads, resigning officials in Christie's government and even a propaganda effort that tries to make the people of the Islands think the only environmental group on the Island was trying to over throw the government.

Third world for sure.

But that being said, all us Bahama lovers better find a new place to go, Bimini is dying a slow death by a thousand cuts....

Oh, and Dave, please don't kill this thread, I know you hate to have any comments on your tropics section that you don't approve of......

I'll try to post some aerial photos later, but you get the idea.

Replies

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,824 Admin
    That's why we haven't been to Bimini in years. The islands have been going downhill since they built Bimini Sands.
    Luckily there are still many places in the Bahamas that are still pretty nice, although every island has its share of failed developments.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
    Three of us were just talking about this today at lunch. I mentioned that Jenn and I had just seen a glorious TV ad the other night about Bimini and RW showing the jet skis, blackjack, the Spona, etc. Disgusting!
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,736 Captain
    I don't know what agavates me more the destruction or my lack of ability to do anything about? I'll still enjoy my mid week trips, staying on South Bimini, and fishing offshore most of the day. Pretty much can ignore what's going on in North Bimini that way.