Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flounder Report 3/20

2»

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Sizuper wrote: »
    Legal doesn't make it right...often times legal just means a special interest group or a business lobby paid some politicians a big enough bribe to make the illegal and immoral legal. I'm referring to the bear hunts...and the dumping of sewage into our lagoons. Immoral and unconscionable, but legal because someone slips some money into someone else's pocket.

The ones opposed to the bear hunts were just that, special interest lobby groups trying to do get their way. 96% florida had no opinion...go figure

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,113 AG
    I grew up doing all the methods and spearing, gigging and fishing all have different challenges. All are quite fun and challenging in different ways.

I'v gigged flounder for many years (30+ easily), we started with a lantern and spear and have over the years changed our gear to what has been more successful. Using technology to increase the distance our light can illuminate the water, but you still have to plan your trip based on your location, weather, and have a lot of knowledge about your area. There are night's I get up at 3 am and flounder until light and might get one or two or none then there are nights I get my limit. I try to take flounder between 15-20 inches due to amount of meat on the fish and reproduction sizes. One of the limits on gigging is temperature normally you can only gig between December and February, it's harder to get close to the flounder when the water warms up. There are many challenges to gigging founder, so try it and see how you do, it's not as easy as you might think. Since December I have went multiple times and only have 9 flounder in my freezer. Some times are more successful then others. I mainly gig because its fun and I get to spend time with my dad.

Good for you... As a "dad"...I can tell you he enjoys it more than you...regardless of success or not.

Do not listen to the experts who tell you that you should not do it...The SCIENCE is clear...If it was bad FWC would already have shut it down or put gamefish status on them etc.

I will say that while we sometimes cannot chose what our take will be...it is a broad...but sound scientific principal to HARVEST the smaller ( within limits..and reason ) and allow the bigger to live. Bigger fish are better geneticly in some instances...and will produce a far larger amount of eggs per spawn cycle.....hence the "upper" length in fish with a slot.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    The ones opposed to the bear hunts were just that, special interest lobby groups trying to do get their way. 96% florida had no opinion...go figure

Emotional bear huggers..... who are not really interested in what is best for the bears.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • razerrazer Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Whats gigging?
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Reel Teal wrote: »

Where do you get that figure from? The state was flooded with paper and electronic requests to stop the hunt
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Emotional bear huggers..... who are not really interested in what is best for the bears.

What in Earth informs your opinion that people who don't want these creatures slaughtered are only emotionally driven and not interested in what is best for the Bears?

Parents protecting their kids from rapists are also emotionally driven...You don't insult and laugh at them too, I hope.

I'd love to hear how getting shot to death by a weekend warrior is what's best for a bear.
    Not trying to be argumentative, duckman, I sincerely want to know what is informing your opinions on this. Because I don't understand them.

What I really don't understand is compulsively insulting half the world just to express an opinion. Having read a lot of your stuff in here, that was pretty shocking to see coming from you.
    What in Earth informs your opinion that people who don't want these creatures slaughtered are only emotionally driven and not interested in what is best for the Bears?

Parents protecting their kids from rapists are also emotionally driven...You don't insult and laugh at them too, I hope.

I'd love to hear how getting shot to death by a weekend warrior is what's best for a bear.
    Hunting and **** are equal now? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Where do you get that figure from? The state was flooded with paper and electronic requests to stop the hunt
    18 million people in Florida. The state did not have even 1 million people emailing them to stop or endorse a hunt. A couple hundred protested, even fewer at the meetings. In reality most don't have an opinion

razer wrote: »
    Whats gigging?
    Google "gig". It's a method of spearing fish from a fixed pole usually with you wading or from a boat

What I really don't understand is compulsively insulting half the world just to express an opinion. Having read a lot of your stuff in here, that was pretty shocking to see coming from you.

3 billion people got upset about the Florida bear hunt?

• southtxsouthtx Posts: 25 Greenhorn

I'm a bit shocked to hear this comparison, no use arguing with someone who would compare these things. Are you against thinning out doe's as well? I've personally seen disease and famine spread when they're not properly managed. I've also been gigging flounder for years, and rarely have I come home with a limit. I imagine like most on here, I only take what I can eat in about a week or, with a few left for the freezer. Also, to say gigging is to satisfy a bloodthirst is is rediculoius, but whatever I guess 'bern on'.
  • thumperdumperthumperdumper Posts: 374 Deckhand
    We are missing the real issue here with all this bickering and arguing...

WHY THE HELL DO WOMEN STILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE?!
    Not trying to be argumentative, duckman, I sincerely want to know what is informing your opinions on this. Because I don't understand them.

My opinion is science driven...no more...no less.

We as a state employ scientists inside a regulatory body (FWC) to manage for BMP ( Best management practices) ...It is their rule and mandate.
    We pay good money for the science.... and trust that the agency will do our will.

You do not let people who are anthopomorphic make decisions that need to be based in facts...not feelings and perception.

Sorry that offends....and to be certain.... half the world would not be offended by making decisions based on science and fact.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    Hell the real problem is all the stinking people moving into FLA and pushing the wildlife out of their homes so the rich snobs (like the ones along the Wekiva) can build their elitist neighborhoods and golf courses in the forests that used to belong to the animals. Which is why you see deer, bear and panthers along with raccoons etc. slaughtered all over the roads. You tree huggers want to protect the animals? Protest MORE DVELOPMENT!
    saltybum wrote: »
    You tree huggers want to protect the animals? Protest MORE DVELOPMENT!

Where will they get their soy latte ?....... :rotflmao

People who do all that protesting...really just need a hobby.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Savannah DanSavannah Dan Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    razer wrote: »
    Whats gigging?

It's obscene, wasted cracker mentality! Please try to keep up.
  • Robm00923Robm00923 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Well Like I said there are Fisherman and people who Fish I'm a Fisherman For life!!!
    It's obscene, wasted cracker mentality! Please try to keep up.