Dania beach freediving spearfishing 3/5 + Video

deepshot86deepshot86 Posts: 62 Deckhand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-kVYpXs3E

Alright well I wish I could have gotten this out yesterday evening because I understand that the information is less relevant tonight seeing as few of us will be able to get out on the ocean for another five days. Regardless the video should be pretty excellent and enjoyable.

I took the kayak out yesterday off Dania, the ocean was pretty hard on me. It was solid 3 footers which may not be bad for a boat but when you are taking the kayak off the beach and swimming freely for three and a half hours it beats you up. Imagine spending three hours in a bucket of water someone is shaking around. Still once I got out past the breakers the water was blue. It was also nice last weekend so I guess we are finally into the improved water quality of late winter. I can also tell by how dead and brown my lawn is, but the ocean is beautiful and blue and the coral has mostly recovered from last summer’s bleaching.

I started out on some rockpiles between the second and third reef. I saw one barely legal black grouper (It is not season but I probably wouldn’t have shot it if it was.) There was also the usual suspects, 12-14” dog snappers, undersized yellow tails etc… no muttons.

Next I moved up into the second reef (20-40’). It was pretty quiet as well, I worked the area south of Dania and into Hollywood. Again no muttons, they have been noticeably absent the past few years, I spoke at the FWC/South Atlantic Fisheries commission meeting recently in support of stricter regulations and I would encourage others to write in support as well for the betterment of the fishery. I saw a couple medium large schools of 8-14” mangrove snapper near the ledges. I moved off the ledges and onto the back edge of the reef and that is where I picked up the hogfish. It was a nice fish about 20” fork length, not huge but a good fish to eat for a night or two. Not much later I called it a day and began the long hard paddle back to shore. I was glad to make it in through the surf without wiping out, which still occasionally happens.

So in summary Dania second reef was pretty quiet as far as fish activity goes in general, water was blue though, baitfish were sparse. Might be more activity on the first reef which is common for this time of year. Still a nice day on the sea although it was only somewhat enjoyable while I was out there.
Hope everyone has a good week and gets out there next weekend ~ Justin

Replies

• quatinquatin Posts: 593 Officer
    Need a buddy? Hit me up. I'm FII 1 certified and I free dive & scuba off the kayak around Lauderdale.
  • deepshot86deepshot86 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    cool man maybe one of these days. I am very constrained schedule wise, I have three kids under the age of four and work almost 60 hrs a week, but I usually go out Saturday mornings for a few hours. Definitely one of these weekends...
  • DanglesDangles Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Hey great video, I was wondering where you launch from if you don't mind telling me? I have been thinking of driving over from Fort Myers to do some kayak diving and I don't know where I can and cannot launch from.

Thanks,
    Dennis
  • quatinquatin Posts: 593 Officer
    Dangles wrote: »
    Hey great video, I was wondering where you launch from if you don't mind telling me? I have been thinking of driving over from Fort Myers to do some kayak diving and I don't know where I can and cannot launch from.

Thanks,
    Dennis

In general, you can't launch where there are life guards, because you can't have any craft in a marked swimming area. Some life guard stations have a dedicated launch channel that you are allowed to launch and land in, but not all of them do. You can see life guard stations pretty easy on google maps, so just look around.
  • deepshot86deepshot86 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I apologize for missing the response, but yeah, north of the pier in dania. In hollywood off meade street with the kayak, anywhere with jsut a boogie boards, anywhere in lauderdale by the sea, in fort lauderdale at the north end of the beach just north of sunrise and a1a