Home Off Topic

European Auto Paint quality vs

GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,903 Admin
I don't know how much more it costs to paint a BMW, Mercedes, etc than their American (North,South)/Asian counterparts but it sure appears their quality, at least perception-wise to me blows the others away.

I was at a stop light today and in the two lanes in front of me was a white BMW wagon and new white Mustang GT. The difference in paint quality was striking.

It seems that would be one of the cheaper ways to at least give the appearance of a quality auto.
The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz

Replies

• FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Amazing that you could notice such a striking difference in paint quality under those conditions. Would hope you'd need to have vehicles side to side, right in front of you, to compare.
    Griz wrote: »
    I was at a stop light today and in the two lanes in front of me was a white BMW wagon and new white Mustang GT. The difference in paint quality was striking.

Rumor has it that Ford has gone cheap on paint. Modern paints are actually fairly expensive. Have heard that Ford has cut the amount they apply. Have read that Ford stopped applying clear coat, over metallic paints, on the roofs of their vans.

BMW probably marks up the cost of an extra quart or so of paint & banks the profits.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
    My body shop was charging $5000 20 years ago to paint a Mercedes and $2000 for the average american car. The last F 350 I bought before my current one had such bad paint from the factory I tried to get them to repaint it. Dull with lots of orange peal. My new one is metallic and looks perfect
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    I have no doubt that the European paint jobs on bmw, Volvo, Porsche, audi are all better finishes.
    I can also say, in my opinion, that the leather in interiors is much better quality as well and will last much longer than a us made brand such as chevy...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,105 Officer
    You ever heard of the term, "you get what you pay for"?
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    I've got a 12 YO Ford (made in Germany) but I can't evaluate the paint quality until I'll wash it, there's at least half inch of dirty on top :grin
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    spray it with plasti dip griz
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Was the BMW made in South Carolina?
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,903 Admin
    drkptt wrote: »
    Was the BMW made in South Carolina?
    Probably. I don't think I said manufactured in but by.

You ever heard of the term, "you get what you pay for"?

Yes. that's my question. Does their paint process cost that much more?

Amazing that you could notice such a striking difference in paint quality under those conditions. Would hope you'd need to have vehicles side to side, right in front of you, to compare.

Rumor has it that Ford has gone cheap on paint. Modern paints are actually fairly expensive. Have heard that Ford has cut the amount they apply. Have read that Ford stopped applying clear coat, over metallic paints, on the roofs of their vans.

BMW probably marks up the cost of an extra quart or so of paint & banks the profits.

They were side by side and five feet in front of me,. That's why I found the difference so striking. Especially on a white car.

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,787 Admiral
    compare a Fiat and a Focus paint jobs

not that different
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    They were side by side and five feet in front of me,. That's why I found the difference so striking. Especially on a white car.
    They were painted with the same paint. Glasurit.
    seajay-1 wrote: »
    They were painted with the same paint. Glasurit.

Then why the different appearance? Thickness, Polish?

Sorry, but somehow, while sitting at a stop light, doesn't sound like ideal conditions to critically compare paint jobs. Hard to tell which has been washed, polished, waxed most recently. May well even be impossible to tell if seeing a repaint from behind the wheel of another vehicle.

That said, I'd still expect better paintwork on a BMW than a Ford. Got to get something for the premium price?

Have read about Ford's new paint process in the new Claycomo plant. Changes have been made to comply with air pollution standards & to increase profits. Some would say compromises/concessions have been made. It's a Brave New World.

Forgive me for lending credence to your theory.
    Sorry, but somehow, while sitting at a stop light, doesn't sound like ideal conditions to critically compare paint jobs. Hard to tell which has been washed, polished, waxed most recently. May well even be impossible to tell if seeing a repaint from behind the wheel of another vehicle.

That said, I'd still expect better paintwork on a BMW than a Ford. Got to get something for the premium price?

Have read about Ford's new paint process in the new Claycomo plant. Changes have been made to comply with air pollution standards & to increase profits. Some would say compromises/concessions have been made. It's a Brave New World.

Forgive me for lending credence to your theory.

My point is from that distance the difference was shocking. Hence my post. I followed both for about a mile and was smitten by the BMW white vs the run of the mill on the Mustang.

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
    FWIW My sons 2001 BMW classic silver metallic still looks brand new.
    I got that. "Hence my post."
    My point is from that distance the difference was shocking. Hence my post. I followed both for about a mile and was smitten by the BMW white vs the run of the mill on the Mustang.

Despite agreeing with you, that I'd expect BMW to have superior paint to Ford - I suspect something else was at play for you to be so "smitten" under those circumstances. Especially if "the difference was shocking".

"My point is" many people can't tell a repaint when they're standing next to the vehicle with their hands on it.
    I got that. "Hence my post."

Despite agreeing with you, that I'd expect BMW to have superior paint to Ford - I suspect something else was at play for you to be so "smitten" under those circumstances. Especially if "the difference was shocking".

"My point is" many people can't tell a repaint when they're standing next to the vehicle with their hands on it.

My point is I can. Worked in the retail Auto/Truck industry for many years . Estimates on wrecks, etc. Been quite a while ago, but none the less.

• Amelia PaddlerAmelia Paddler Posts: 488 Deckhand
    AC Man wrote: »
    My body shop was charging $5000 20 years ago to paint a Mercedes and $2000 for the average american car. The last F 350 I bought before my current one had such bad paint from the factory I tried to get them to repaint it. Dull with lots of orange peal. My new one is metallic and looks perfect

Some years ago a friend of mine went to trade his 99 C5 in for a 06 ZO6 (both triple black)
    Parked side by side the 99 looked amazing, the 06 was terrible.
    Granted the 99 was wetsanded after he got it, but remained looking slick for the entire time he had it.
    Hence the first thing he does is get his body guy to wetsand all the orange peel out of every car he buys.
    I've not been too impressed with many of the big 3's factory paint jobs for some time, some of the Chrysler cars are looking good though.
    They are getting better, sad that its almost expected on a cheaper car.
    Even my 02 Camry was not that great.
    But paint is expensive man, just in materials when I repainted my daily a few years back I spent a shade over $1700 and it came out miles ahead of what many "new" premium cars look like on the lot.
    *and I'm not a good painter by any stretch of the imagination

But a flagship car rolling out with orange peel all over...unacceptable.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    If it has orange peel the paint has been compromised. ie the painted surface was not clean prior to painting.or contamination in the air supply.

That shop looks familiar. Is that on Sadler?
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    My point is I can. Worked in the retail Auto/Truck industry for many years . Estimates on wrecks, etc. Been quite a while ago, but none the less.

You just now noticed this with your vast experience?

There could be a number of reasons why one looks better. Are the prices in the same ballpark?
    Much ado about nothing.

Some car owners are extremely anal about washing, buffing, waxing & polishing cars. Others drive rent-a-wrecks that were salvaged & repainted. Many never wash, polish, or wax their car.

It's not like this is a discussion about comparing factory finishes, or making the giant leap to judge European vs. Domestic "Auto Paint quality".
  • DancinGeneDancinGene Posts: 1,760 Captain
    If it has orange peel the paint has been compromised. ie the painted surface was not clean prior to painting.or contamination in the air supply.

That's fish eye.

Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.
    Orange peel (effect) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    I believe the majority of auto paints are going to be aliphatic acrylic urethanes., which are similar in chemistry to Imron or AwlCraft2000.
    Acrylic urethanes usually leave a slight orange peel, and are meant to be wet sanded and buffed to achieve a beautiful gloss.
    This is the area that manufacturers are skimping on- 9 out of 10 brand new cars are all sporting orange peel because bean counters no longer can justify the hours needed to make the paint shine.
  • Amelia PaddlerAmelia Paddler Posts: 488 Deckhand

You mean fish eyes?

My shop is in Jax, but I painted it at a friends booth in Yulee then drove to work the next day to do the wetsand/buff work.
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    I own a VW Passat wagon, stick no less, with some mods way fast car, never waxed her and yet still beautiful. In fact the owners manual says one should not. Cool bad **** girls car, I love her.

Now spraying Awlgrip, done that on my flats skiff, zero orange peal, but I have painted before. American paint jobs on new cars suck in comparison.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    Much ado about nothing.

Some car owners are extremely anal about washing, buffing, waxing & polishing cars. Others drive rent-a-wrecks that were salvaged & repainted. Many never wash, polish, or wax their car.

It's not like this is a discussion about comparing factory finishes, or making the giant leap to judge European vs. Domestic "Auto Paint quality".

I have a friend who swears washing a vehicle ruins the paint.