Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

I Don't Know How to Fish!!!

A friend takes me to a new ramp this morning to show me his new hot spot. He's been getting snook at this spot. With this known I rigged last night with 25# fluro and my favorite spoon.

First cast this morning and I'm into a very large snook. After a few runs I finally get it near the boat and he rolls. Gone! Cut thru the leader! I suck!

I've vented!

John

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Stop lying. :nono
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    Losing fish is part of it. I lost a snook 3 days ago....right at the boat. It certainly helps us appreciate the fish we do land....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    It happens man. More than I'd like to admit. If it makes you feel any better I lost close to a 40" snook a few nights ago on a similar deal.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Unless you are fishing super clear water, Id bump that leader up to 40lb. Shouldnt notice a decrease in strikes, but you will notice a decrease in cut offs.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,914 Admiral
    That's why it's called fishing and not catching.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    I lost a slot snook last week going from my boat to my dock fillet table. Had it by the lip and tail about to step off onto the dock, fish goes crazy, tears up my thumb good, and hits the dock. One more flip and in the canal she went. lol. Now i use my plastic lip grippers.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 608 Officer
    Haha it's crazy how strong they are, I've gotten hurt pretty bad by themy thrashing around while I'm holding them. The worst is baby tarpon though, those things are a powerhouse, they always thrash right out of my grip no matter how hard I grab that lip, which is why I always hold them over the water.
    Definitely use heavier leader, I never go under 40 lb when targeting big snook.