Home Off Topic

3 teen girls dead after leaving police on a wacky slow speed car chase. TDB

coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Three teenaged girls are dead after a stolen car crashed into a pond in the southwest quadrant of I-275 and Gandy Boulevard in St. Petersburg early Thursday morning.
Pinellas County officials said the driver seemed to be trying to entice deputies into a chase. The driver would slow down, then speed up when a cruiser came within view -- even running red lights. Deputies said they did not pursue at high speeds, as is standard policy.
The victims have been identified as Ashaunti Butler, 15, Laniya Miller, 15, and Dominique Battle, 16, from St. Petersburg.
The car eventually ended up waiting in a cemetery. When deputies pulled up behind it, the driver hit the gas straight into the pond. The car was quickly submerged in around 15 feet of water. Officials say the pond is full of alligators.
The incident occurred shortly after 3:30 a.m. Thursday. Officials were shining lights from their cruisers and from a chopper overhead to assist their rescue attempt, but it was too late.
The PCSO dive team located and assisted in removing the car from the pond, and all three people inside had drowned.
The report said nobody in the car was wearing a seatbelt, but it's unclear if they took them off in an attempt to escape the sunken vehicle.
169304.GIF

Replies

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,866 AG
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,015 AG
    Play stupid games...
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,646 Admiral
    They're from Rock's hood.

pours-liquor-2.gif
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • DancinGeneDancinGene Posts: 1,760 Captain
    Tarpon65 wrote: »

pours-liquor-2.gif

HeHeHe!
    Tarpon65 wrote: »

pours-liquor-2.gif

Probably not far actually
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Sounds like an intentional thing or the kids were just exceptionally stupid. A waste of so much opportunity and promise.
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain
    How long before the protests start ? Police should have saved them, they were just kids out trying to have fun and ended up scared because they felt threatened by the police ! It is coming.... Bet your $10 rock on it...
    Heatwave wrote: »
    How long before the protests start ? Police should have saved them, they were just kids out trying to have fun and ended up scared because they felt threatened by the police ! It is coming.... Bet your $10 rock on it...

:huh
    rock_fish wrote: »
    :huh

The Black Community will start going nutz over this, blaming the police... Not that I know it is 3 black girls via their names, just a hunch.... You are going to have 3 mom's claiming their girls were all planning on going to college, working jobs, wanted to be models, etc... They will state that the officers forced them to drive into the pond... This is what I mean... Sorry if it misled...
    With the names Butler, Miller, and Battle.. There is a good chance one of them has a relative in the NBA or NFL...
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    The Black Community will start going nutz over this, blaming the police... Not that I know it is 3 black girls via their names, just a hunch.... You are going to have 3 mom's claiming their girls were all planning on going to college, working jobs, wanted to be models, etc... They will state that the officers forced them to drive into the pond... This is what I mean... Sorry if it misled...
    With the names Butler, Miller, and Battle.. There is a good chance one of them has a relative in the NBA or NFL...

It is strong in this one

What's it like?
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG

You are one bitter fellow. Maybe life has not treated you well....
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    You are one bitter fellow. Maybe life has not treated you well....

I like Beer

Now I am normal !
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Sad.

Young lives lost.

Doing things we would have done 40 years ago.

Not realizing things have changed.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Menzies wrote: »
    Sad.

Young lives lost.

About 90% agreement here but driving into a pond I would have drawn the line at.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Chuckc wrote: »
    About 90% agreement here but driving into a pond I would have drawn the line at.

I hear you, but let me tell you this.

In the heat of the moment, you do stupid things.

The death penalty is not what I would prescribe.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Well, I can say I have done many stupid things that I survived. Sad situation regardless.
  • FloydFloyd ; in N. Tampa or DownEast MainePosts: 1,109 Officer
    In a presser on TV the police said that these girls had big rap sheets and had stolen 4 or 5 other cars in the past. The only reason they weren't in prison is their young age. Angels, they were not.
    Recording from Moderators annual meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Floyd wrote: »
    Angels, they were not.

They are now.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    I hear you, but let me tell you this.

In the heat of the moment, you do stupid things.

The death penalty is not what I would prescribe.
    That's for sure, but considering the "career" they were tracking perhaps they had just anticipated.
    Moreover, even considering the age of the girls, looks like they jumped into the pond with suicidal purposes in Thelma & Louise style.
    Anyway RIP for them, any lost of young lives is always really sad.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • WelwoodWelwood Posts: 745 Officer
    Chuckc wrote: »

3:30am.....did they have their lights on?......unfamiliar surroundings?...were they even aware the pond was there?
    too many questions.

Edit: "At a sharp bend in the road about 4 a.m., the car stayed on a straight course, then slipped into a pond."

http://home.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/deputies-search-pond-near-gandy-boulevard-after-stolen-vehicle-plunges/2271365

Looks like they "straightened" out the curve.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,646 Admiral

When a Cop got behind me, when I was their age, with his lights lit up, I stopped.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Don BDon B Posts: 857 Officer
    If they would have been in jail, where they belonged this would not have happened, "Jails save lives".
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,563 Captain
    Don B wrote: »
    If they would have been in jail, where they belonged this would not have happened, "Jails save lives".

Agreed. And that pond saved the tax payers of this great state countless dollars that would have been spent prosecuting and incarcerating them for the next umpteen years..................
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    drgibby wrote: »
    Agreed. And that pond saved the tax payers of this great state countless dollars that would have been spent prosecuting and incarcerating them for the next umpteen years..................

A hard but true fact considering their past deeds.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    When I was 15, I would routinely sneak my mom's car out of the garage and hot rod around town at midnight. Who knows what I would have done if the police had tried to pull me over. Amazingly I didn't commit any other criminal acts (that I can remember) and live to this day to tell the story.

As long as there are kids, they will do dumb stuff. If death were the result of all stupid actions, few of us would be around to talk about it.

Lighten up.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,530 Admiral
    Sad.

Young lives lost.

Ummmm No!!!! Most of us did not go around stealing cars.

Grand Theft Auto does not fall under mischeivious teenager pranks....

This is serious criminal activity.

Something all three had been arrested for multiple times.
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,247 Captain
    I see from the report that they were pretty young.
    We can only hope they hadn't yet started to breed.
  • td.td. Posts: 4,695 Captain
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    When I was 15, I would routinely sneak my mom's car out of the garage and hot rod around town at midnight. Who knows what I would have done if the police had tried to pull me over. Amazingly I didn't commit any other criminal acts (that I can remember) and live to this day to tell the story.

As long as there are kids, they will do dumb stuff. If death were the result of all stupid actions, few of us would be around to talk about it.

Lighten up.

You had a long rap sheet?