Home Off Topic

I need New Home Owner Insurance Coverage

Dave1Dave1 Posts: 157 Deckhand
I need to buy new home owner insurance coverage for our central Fla Winter Springs home. What company do you have and are you happy with the coverage, cost, service, etc.?

Thanks, Dave

Replies

• MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    USAA is writing in Florida again. Their quote was almost triple what I got from Florida Farm Bureau. I would at least call them.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,831 AG
    USAA is writing in Florida again. Their quote was almost triple what I got from Florida Farm Bureau. I would at least call them.

Good to know. Bad that they are that high, but worth a look when I'm up for renewal
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    I think they are only writing inside of 75 and 95, or something like that -not coastal.

And when I said call, I meant FFB.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,978 AG
    Been happy with Tower Hill for my stuff.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,632 Admiral
    Resinhead wrote: »
    Been happy with Tower Hill for my stuff.

I've had Tower Hill for a few years now. They have deposited my checks fine, but I have not had any claims to see how they handle passing out the $$.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
    I had a recent claim on a rental. Tree limb came down, busted a hole in the roof, soffit and smashed the AC unit. Adjuster came out, wrote his estimate, reviewed it with me, added a couple items and the check was in the mailbox 6 days later.

I emailed pictures to him when the repairs were completed. Done.
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 969 Officer
    If you get a 16 page questionnaire from
    Tower Hill prior to renewal, you are about to get dumped,
    without the courtesy of a phone call, letter or email.
  • evernicevernic Posts: 797 Officer
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    I've had Tower Hill for a few years now. They have deposited my checks fine, but I have not had any claims to see how they handle passing out the $$.

had TH for 3 yrs...in midst of 1st claim now...so far so good..1st estimate was garbage, called with rejection and they sent a guy from a restoration company and his estimate was real...got check in 7 days and repairs begin tomorrow...leaky pipe inside vanity ruined vanity :)
    2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Indigo wrote: »
    If you get a 16 page questionnaire from
    Tower Hill prior to renewal, you are about to get dumped,
    without the courtesy of a phone call, letter or email.

They are required to give 45 days notice before non-renewal.
    Vote for the other candidate
    evernic wrote: »
    had TH for 3 yrs...in midst of 1st claim now...so far so good..1st estimate was garbage, called with rejection and they sent a guy from a restoration company and his estimate was real...got check in 7 days and repairs begin tomorrow...leaky pipe inside vanity ruined vanity :)

If that restoration company is Paul Davis, be cafeful.
  • Dave1Dave1 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Tower Hill dropped my local agent that provided our Tower Hill insurance for the last couple or three years. I called a new TH agent who assembled a new TH policy quote, but in the discussions they learned our house had been re-piped with PEX pipe with no manifold. Apparently TH does not like or accept PEX. The agent then wrote us a quote from Security First with replacement cost, increased limits, etc. that is actually cheaper than last years similar TH policy. I am going thru the coverage and limitations of the Security First policy now.

Initial quotes from agents are usually for very basic policy coverage and cheap premiums. You need to get into and read the policy and limitations to really determine what you are getting and determine what you need. Increasing limits for certain coverages is a good idea and is not too expensive.

Dave