Grey tile fish or blue line tilefish

I recently reviewed the 2016 regulations by the state. Greys are not listed as a species but it states " 100 lbs of greys or two per person". I remember that if you were in state waters it was up to 100 lbs, pretty much unlimited. Can someone elaborate on this issue.
Thanks
AJ

Replies

• HurricaneBKHurricaneBK Posts: 200 Deckhand
    100 lbs or 2 per person per day, whichever is greater

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/tilefish/

Where are you catching tilefish in state waters though?

For Federal waters the following applies:

NEW: NOAA Fisheries has announced the new recreational season in Atlantic federal waters will open May 1 and close Aug. 31 (and remain closed through April 30, 2016), with a 1 fish per vessel limit. If the recreational catch limit is reached at any point before or after the recreational fishery is opened, NOAA fisheries will close the fishery in Atlantic federal waters.

Basically not even worth fishing for them with a 1 per vessel limit.
    BoatEasy
    The Boater-to-Boater Marketplace
    www.BoatEasy.net
    Find and Share Services, Expertise and Products with Boaters Near You
  • BaileyLegalBaileyLegal Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    South Florida tri county area. So you can only keep 2 greys? That's how I read it.
    No, it's whichever is greater which favors you the angler. In this case the 100lbs limit would be greater. Can't imagine how that would be enforced though, would an FWC officer pull out a scale or something and weigh them all?
    BoatEasy
    www.BoatEasy.net
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    There are plenty of areas down here that are within 3 miles where they can be caught. The trick is & not many here practice it, is that you must STAY in state waters after you've caught them. If it were to go to court (not that it would) but if, they could use your GPS against you. I personally stopped fishing for them years ago when they were thinned out & only small fish were being harvested. The regs are so stupid!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,242 Captain
    There are plenty of areas down here that are within 3 miles where they can be caught. The trick is & not many here practice it, is that you must STAY in state waters after you've caught them. If it were to go to court (not that it would) but if, they could use your GPS against you. I personally stopped fishing for them years ago when they were thinned out & only small fish were being harvested. The regs are so stupid!

I am with you Ryan. Grays are a bycatch for me. Quit targeting a long time ago.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

You guys are a little farther north than me. Three miles off Key Biscayne has me right on top of the reef. What are you guys targeting in state waters when you catch them as by catch?

Agree the federal laws are ridiculous, why even have an open season for a 1 fish boat limit for a fish the size of a gray tile. Wonder if there was ever even a stock assessment done or if it was just reactionary "oh there's a lot of people fishing for these things, better close them down".
    BoatEasy
    www.BoatEasy.net
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    You guys are a little farther north than me. Three miles off Key Biscayne has me right on top of the reef. What are you guys targeting in state waters when you catch them as by catch?

Agree the federal laws are ridiculous, why even have an open season for a 1 fish boat limit for a fish the size of a gray tile. Wonder if there was ever even a stock assessment done or if it was just reactionary "oh there's a lot of people fishing for these things, better close them down".

Snowy grouper.