Home Ask the Law!

Pompano shark bait?

billdawgbilldawg Posts: 65 Deckhand
Is using pompano as shark bait legal?

Replies

• bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    Why oh why would you do that?!?! 😭😭😭
    I would think it would be wanton waste of perfectly good filets. But as for the legal part, as long as it's of legal size and is counted as part of your daily limit, I don't see why not.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,011 Moderator
    It is illegal in the Gulf to use a reef fish as bait. Couldn't find a similar regulation for the Atlantic. You don't give a hint as to where you are fishing. That said, pompano is not defined as a reef fish, so I guess one could use it as bait. BUT there's also the regulation that fish must be landed whole, head & tail intact. Now if a shark bites it in half, you are in violation. Take your best shot.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,960 Captain
    What if the pompano was caught whole, then rigged as a bait? No difference in using any other fish as a bait right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,228 AG
    I wouldn't use Beef Tenderloin as coyote bait but I guess you could.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • billdawgbilldawg Posts: 65 Deckhand
    I think the issue is that you have to be able to prove that it is a legal fish. So I guess it is illegal to chunk it up and use as cut bait because there is no proof it is legal. Not sure if you can take a pic of the fish on the measuring tape and use the pic as proof.

I apologize for using "chunk it up" and "pompano" in the same sentence. I know that is probably painful to read for some