Fishing trip in October 2016

HalonHalon Posts: 143 Deckhand
Need some help! Looking for a kayak fishing destination in Florida, preferably above Ft. Myers. Have fished the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon areas, however, want to let them recover before going back. This is what I'm looking for:

1. Saltwater or freshwater
2. Areas of protected water in case of strong winds. Someplace to hide.
3. Like shallow water or deep water with shallow nearby
4. Easy kayak launch and access
5. RV campground or fish camp with reasonable/clean cabins nearby or on the water
6. No open Gulf or Ocean waters

I recognize that all of the criteria listed above may not be possible, the more the better.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Halon

Replies

• dcrdcr Posts: 353 Deckhand
    My guess as to why you've gotten no responses is your list is pretty specific and long. I can't address all your details, but consider Pine Island Sound, Bokeelia, Matlacha, Charlotte Harbor, Peace and Myakka Rivers, Sarasota and lots of places in between I'm not familiar with. I know nothing of RV campgrounds in this area. There are quite a few ramps just N of Venice around the Dona Bay area all the way up to Blackburn and Siesta Key, and I did spot a fish camp on the north side of the Venice Jetty on my TopSpot map. Plenty of shallow protected water from Ft. Myers to Sarasota.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 353 Deckhand
    And here's another thought I had. In November I'm taking my kayak to Cayo Costa. There's pretty good fishing all around the island, shallow water, and the shoal on the Gulf side keeps the waves down. I'm staying in a reasonably clean cabin, but you'll not get an RV out there. You'll either have to paddle out or take the ferry. Oh yeah, no electricity.