Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2

Anyone have experience with the Lawrance HDS-7 Gen 2 Touch Sonar/GPS Combo with HDI Transducer? I have been looking for a new one for some time, but everyone is proud of the Sonar/GPS combos. Cabela's has them on sale right now for $749 and you get a $100 gift card and $100 worth of Cabela's bucks. So basically getting a $999 for $549. Just do not want to make a $549 mistake plus whatever it cost to have it installed. Thanks for any help you can give. This would be going on a 23 ft bay boat.

Replies

• Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    There all that and more. Get the the new all in one I think it's called lss2 transducer. It's the side scan chirp and standard transfer ducuer in one package $299 Just released this month. Theres only a couple difference with gen 2 and gen3 like pinching screen for zooming and side of screen buttons. Google it you can't go wrong in my opinion. I just ordered the hds12 gen2 touch I'm doubling them up and all gen touch are interfaced vie yellow and gray Ethernet cable. No sonar hub needed. The internal gps antenna is all you need also

Just my 2 cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ganny76ganny76 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Thanks Kapn. It comes with the HDI transducer and I dont think you can sub for another one. I would be upgrading from a 2003 Lowrance that you need a PH.d to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,215 Admiral
    Kapn summed it up pretty **** good. It's a great unit, I've been running the 12" version on mine for a year and absolutely love it.

I've made Navico so happy since I became thier main tech here that they are about to upgrade me to the gen3 for free! I'm pretty stoked, it's a bit faster, and a few new features like built in wifi. This will allow me to tap into the system from inside the comfort of my home and enter waypoints, routes and settings, etc. It will also allow me to view and control my system from any Droid or I device, so I'll now have a view of my gps, etc while in my tower.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • ganny76ganny76 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Tony does lowrance total scan all in one ducuer work on hds gen 2 models.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,215 Admiral
    It works on late models of the hds gen 2 touch that have the xsonic (9 pin black connector) connection. Rather than type a whole lot here, this article explains it perfectly for all models.

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270