CR 3 Day Tour 3/22-3/24

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,633 Captain
Set out to find the snook this week. Had planned on camping but due to questionable weather and full(crowded) campgrounds we decided to stay mobile and day trip. Ended up in Crystal River all three days.
Tuesday was nice so we decided to do a little exploring in some areas that I have not gone.
Found some really nice spots that I think will produce in the coming weeks of warmup.
Got this 27 1/2".

Wednesday we stayed more inshore in a spot I knew the Snook would be holding.
Got us in position and one of my sons handed me a rod and said here you go.
First cast hooked this big girl and realized I was holding the smallest rod in the boat.
6' light action with a 1000 stradic. Took me about 15 minutes and amazingly got her in the net.
38" and the most enjoyable fish I have fought in a very long time.

Thursday was an exact repeat, same tide same spot and another 38".
Had a rod this time that was a bit more suited for the fight.
Cody picked up a nice little trout pitching a mud minnow into the potholes as we idled through the shallows.

Every afternoon was spent sight casting to redfish everywhere, all had LOCKJAW.
Full bellies from the full moon I guess, just could not figure that bite out.
Three great days on the boat, 10 hours in the truck after getting up at 4 every morning and I was so tired I slept till 7 today.:)
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    Great job on some nice fish!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Sounds like you had a challenge on that 1000.
    Great looking fish....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,729 Captain
    Quality fish! :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    That's a couple awesome Snook. I know some 40+" Snook are caught in the rivers, but few on the flats. I caught ten 38-39" Snook last year, but not one 40". I always measure them and you would swear some are over 40" by the girth and battle. They are some beasts and fun! WTG
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,633 Captain
    That's a couple awesome Snook. I know some 40+" Snook are caught in the rivers, but few on the flats. I caught ten 38-39" Snook last year, but not one 40". I always measure them and you would swear some are over 40" by the girth and battle. They are some beasts and fun! WTG

Thanks Ted,
    Been snook fishing since I was 5, since before I was allowed to without getting a whoopin for taking off to the spillway on my own.:cool:
    Never broke that 40" mark but watched my brothers do it many times. These 2 were a little bigger than my best. Lucky they just dug in and did not get airborn or I would not have had a chance.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Trophy20Trophy20 Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Very nice fish. I'm hoping to find some Snook in a couple weeks.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,160 Moderator
    Nice fish . Looks like we will be rewarded with no freezing weather and more healthy snook.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Nice fish . Looks like we will be rewarded with no freezing weather and more healthy snook.

I'm with Louie there, I think it's gonna e a hell of a year for Snukez! Them are some Beauties!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!