Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing with soft plastics on swim hooks

Hey guys, any of you ever have any luck with this type of rig?

What kind of jerk baits do you like / use? Any depths better than others to work it ?

I want to try it out some this Spring especially if I need to go weedless.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I like Zoom Super Flukes. The plastic is soft but the action is incredible on the fall. I just use a 5/0 Gamakatsu offset worm hook. Easy to rig weedless and my only beef with it is that the plastic is so soft on the flukes. But the action is the best I've found and fish rarely ever spit it once it's in their mouth. Fish that don't really want to commit to eating will take it since it feels/tastes natural to them. I've had good luck rigging it on a jig head as well and bouncing it on the bottom for reds or trout. A swimbait hook with the curly wire you thread it onto might really help, but they aren't readily available in my local tackle shop and if they were I'm sure they'd be much more expensive so I just deal with it, it's worth it.
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    Just like Jim I like the super flukes. Also throw gulp of the fish are super spooky. I'm using an owner twist and lock 5/0 weighted worm hook and love it. It's only 1/8oz so it still gets that natural fall of the weightless worm hook but makes it fly a little better when I'm throwing it. Plus I can get it down to the fish if they're deep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    my go to bait the past couple trips..the hooks are 1/16 oz weighted with a screw..little pricy at 3 for 5 bucks but I rarely break off
  • rwatersrwaters Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    I pretty much only use Z man for jerk baits. They are very durable. Some say the action is not as good because of the durability. They catch fish and can be used over and over. I rig mine for shallow water with the cheap hooks from Wal Mart listed below 1/16 oz.. Screw in hook types are difficult with the Z man material. If you want to use the screw in it is easier to heat the screw with a lighter then screw into the bait.
    http://www.arkiejigs.com/ARKIE-JERK-BAIT-HEADS-p/js.htm[/URL]

When rigged on a jighead I use the Slayer. They hold really well.

Good Luck
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    I catch the female trout on this lure also
    If they made a bigger size it would be popular with some ladies too.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,509 AG
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I like Zoom Super Flukes. The plastic is soft but the action is incredible on the fall. I just use a 5/0 Gamakatsu offset worm hook. Easy to rig weedless and my only beef with it is that the plastic is so soft on the flukes. But the action is the best I've found and fish rarely ever spit it once it's in their mouth. Fish that don't really want to commit to eating will take it since it feels/tastes natural to them. I've had good luck rigging it on a jig head as well and bouncing it on the bottom for reds or trout. A swimbait hook with the curly wire you thread it onto might really help, but they aren't readily available in my local tackle shop and if they were I'm sure they'd be much more expensive so I just deal with it, it's worth it.

I've got a pile of those I prerigged with the Owner bleeding worm hook. I've yet to really test them out, bought them two years ago. I'm waiting to test them out when the grass is too bad to fish a live bait under a cork or throw a mirrordine or topwater with trebles. You can literally make a Zoom completely weedless, but I have a question. Do you use or would you use a bullethead weight to get more casting distance or will that kill the action?

I like the Paul Brown Devils, they are deadly but not weedless and oh so pricey.:hairraiser
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If they made a bigger size it would be popular with some ladies too.

I almost missed your tongue in cheek comment, that does look like a Rabbit, doesn't it? :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    navigator2 wrote: »
    ...I like the Paul Brown Devils, they are deadly but not weedless...

If you like the Paul Brown Devil but want weedless then check out The Slick Lure:

http://theslicklure.com/

“Fishing the clear shallows out of Keaton Beach, Gainesville Offshore Fishing Club members, Hal Wilson and Ross McElroy cast the productive, locally-made lure called “The Slick”. On this day, McElroy had the hot trout-catching hand, hauling in three whoppers weighing 4.21, 4.35, and 6.72. The largest, a healthy specimen over 27-inches long, becomes the heaviest trout from local gulf waters we’ve heard of this year—and falls just shy of being the GOFC’s all-time record trout.”
    The Fishing Report (2/26/2016)
    Gary’s Tackle Box Gainesville, FL
    http://www.garystacklebox.com/blog/new-bass-regulations-on-the-way/
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    If you like the Paul Brown Devil but want weedless then check out The Slick Lure:

http://theslicklure.com/

“Fishing the clear shallows out of Keaton Beach, Gainesville Offshore Fishing Club members, Hal Wilson and Ross McElroy cast the productive, locally-made lure called “The Slick”. On this day, McElroy had the hot trout-catching hand, hauling in three whoppers weighing 4.21, 4.35, and 6.72. The largest, a healthy specimen over 27-inches long, becomes the heaviest trout from local gulf waters we’ve heard of this year—and falls just shy of being the GOFC’s all-time record trout.”
    The Fishing Report (2/26/2016)
    Gary’s Tackle Box Gainesville, FL
    http://www.garystacklebox.com/blog/new-bass-regulations-on-the-way/

Holy cow..........almost looks like a patent violation. Thanks Yak, bookmarked that and will look into those. Looks like the same mold but without the treble hook.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Here's the Devil Eye:

https://www.baadmarinesupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=494

This one can be rigged weedless or on a jig head.
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    Here's the Devil Eye:

https://www.baadmarinesupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=494

This one can be rigged weedless or on a jig head.

Interesting background there. Paul Brown's grandsons company. Those look like they have the flat head. Slow retrieves won't make them bubble and smoke, I wonder why they made them that way?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    I've got a pile of those I prerigged with the Owner bleeding worm hook. I've yet to really test them out, bought them two years ago. I'm waiting to test them out when the grass is too bad to fish a live bait under a cork or throw a mirrordine or topwater with trebles. You can literally make a Zoom completely weedless, but I have a question. Do you use or would you use a bullethead weight to get more casting distance or will that kill the action?

I like the Paul Brown Devils, they are deadly but not weedless and oh so pricey.:hairraiser

I think the bullet head weight would work fine if you pegged the weight, and so would the weighted swimbait hooks that have the weight under the belly of the fluke. It changes the action but you're going to need something to get the fluke lower in the water column when there's lots of floating grass. It still has an awesome action even on a lightweight jighead. You can jig it along the bottom and stay pretty weedless and draw strikes that way. That's actually my preferred bait in the summer time when there's too much grass to throw the mirrodine or topwaters. I'll also sometimes rig it up under a cork so the bait stays below the weeds.
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand

My go to soft bait. Almost EVERY strike I've gotten with them has been on the pause. I literally watched a fish chase one of these from across a canal in the opposite direction of the cast and flat drill it out off the Suwanee. I use a 7/0 worm hook but yeah, if the screw hooks are available, they're great!
  • doolittle3701doolittle3701 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Jim; The weighted swim bait hooks are available at Garry's tackle box. I am going to try them when I get back to fishing.
    Thanks. I actually stepped foot in Walmart to buy an emergency set of trailer tires the other day and found some there that I'm going to try, and they were very cheap. If they don't totally suck I'll buy more and mayb even consider buying some better quality ones at Gary's or have Alachua Farm and Lumber order me some, I buy most of my tackle there.
  • GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 311 Deckhand
    Jim, I've used the ones Walmart carries (Mustad if I remember right) and have had excellent results. They hold up pretty good over time too. I rig up Gulp shrimp on them for weedless rigs but have found that hooksets are a little more difficult than a standard jig head setup, but I guess that should be expected.
    Cool, probably throw them a lot on the grass flats this summer, thanks.