Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

3-20 Inshore

We have dirty water up near New Smyrna...it should be crystal clear right now. Thank you Gov for emptying Lake O and the sugar cane fields... I digress.

I haven't been out since August, so forgive the lack of trophy fish. Got 8-12 ladyfish, 6-8 short trout, 3 reds (2 short), 6-8-10 short snapper. Fish were biting ok.

I was back in a somewhat popular area and B-I-L snags this oyster bar. We went over to pull his lure off and decent black drum sticks a bunch of his body out of the water about 6 feet from the boat. He was 3 ft if he was an inch and would not eat a plastic bait or shrimp. We worked him over for about 10 minutes until a couple guys came thru - fish would go down and then his big ole tail would come up 10-15 ft away. Fish moved 3 times before boat showed up. They were the ONLY people we saw back there ALL DAY, and only when we had this jumbo fish to try and catch. LOL :huh Interesting how that happens.

Only 1 fish was a keeper - 22 inch red. Caught most on plastic swim baits, snapper and ladyfish on live shrimp.

ALSO - the Edgewater Hardware store charged me $5 doz for Medium shrimp this morning. Seems kinds high.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,049 AG
    Rich M wrote: »
    We have dirty water up near New Smyrna...it should be crystal clear right now. Thank you Gov for emptying Lake O and the sugar cane fields... I digress.

Lake O has nothing to do with your problem.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Captain HookCaptain Hook Posts: 107 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »

Are you sure about this? I have wondered if discharges from years past have contributed. It's not impossible for water from those past discharges to have finally worked their way up here. Everything is connected from the St Lucie all the way up.
  • Captain HookCaptain Hook Posts: 107 Officer
    I would sat that this latest discharge isn't the cause. That's too far for it to travel and much too quickly.
    Are you sure about this? .

Yes...and so are all the people on the science end of this....

Far too much water moves thru Ft Pierce inlet ...1000 feet wide with a controlling depth at 45 feet....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Whatever. We got nasty water. It used to be clear.

No-one knows what it is other than pointing fingers at septic systems and agricultural runoff. We just sit around and watch it degrade because there is nothing being done. It is funny that they always point at septic systems. To know how septic systems work is to understand why they aren't the problem.

I'm not looking for results - I just hope they do something before the lagoon system/ICW dies.

The people in Flint believed the government...
    Rich M wrote: »
    No-one knows what it is other than pointing fingers at septic systems and agricultural runoff.

The isotope testing shows this...that's why they know it.

We sit on top of sand.... it makes it a sure thing.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,863 AG

Nor Rick Scott, unless he heads up the Army Corp of Engineers now.

Captain Todd Approves

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    Do you have a pretty lawn from fertilizer? Our unusually wet January with extreme heavy rainfalls washes all the stuff off you and your neighbors lawns right into the ICW and all that nitrogen causes or definitely helps the algae blooms.
    My yard is mostly weeds. I wont use that crap anymore and that is exactly what it is...crap.
  • FishseekerFishseeker Posts: 84 Deckhand
    The isotope testing shows this...that's why they know it.

We sit on top of sand.... it makes it a sure thing.

Isotope tests show what sir?
    Not understanding about the sand and sure thing connection??
    Please elaborate
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Posts: 41 Deckhand
    I find it hard to believe that it is all related to fertilizers. The reduction in nitrogen and phosphorus has only started within the past 5 years. What was used years ago had far more nitrogen and phosphorus then today's rates. There isn't a tremendous amount of development in or around the Mosquito Lagoon.

I feel it is a collection of problems that combine to make the water unable to handle everything.
    1. Lack of tidal discharge basically causes standing water
    2. Increase in manatee's eating seagrass causing release of nutrients
    3. Water runoff
    4. Long period of dry weather followed by heavy rainfall
  • Sham WowSham Wow Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    The land of 10,000 lakes banned N & P in fertilizers to get a handle on water quality due to residential and commercial runoff in 2002. Only professionals can use it at a rate that does not exceed the need and its a different product and fines when exceeded. Florida needs to take action. Golf courses, residential and commercial areas need to work on soil quality instead of continuing to dump synthetic fertilizer on the ground and the only way to make this happen is to ban that mfg of these products. Florida needs more trees and native plants. Manatee fecal discharge is not one of the problems, human discharge is. I would go after the cattle before I would the manatee but good luck with that one. 1,3 and 4 make sense. Anytime water that stands above a septic field in excess and then runs off into creeks is a problem. Drain fields and tanks can leach or drain up. The dry weather followed by tons of rain is huge factor especially when a lot of burned areas runoff, regarding phosphorus. It will cycle out, fish species that die off will come back but your favorite waters might be not be what they have been for a few years.................if it quits raining. But the big message is to start now for the next spell.