Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

03/18/16 Looking for ledges off Cayo Costa in 35 to 45 FT.

Capt Scott and I decided To look for near shore ledges under 10 miles out. We have talked about doing this for awhile. The tackle of choice Med and Med/light spin gear. Plenty of Chum, squid, shrimp, cut bait for the hook. Plan was to stop drop, hook a few and move on. Good size Grunts came to play, small lanes, legal but small, 19 1/2 red grouper put a nice bend in our light rods, we did box one nice mangrove snapper. We did what we set out to do and had fun doing it.
On the down side my I-Command digital gauge bit the dust I think?? Have to check out all the connections next time I am at the marina. Then make sure my lights work for those runs in the dark.
larrywitt

Replies

• farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Always good when a plan comes together. Thats basically what I did last year, with similar results. I just sit at the helm with a marker bouy (clorox bottle) in my hand and watch the screen. If I see something that looks nice I'll drop the jug, hit MOB and circle around to try and drift over it. If I hook something that likes hard bottom, I'll idle around to see if I find something more pronounced, if not, I'll anchor on the spot and see whats home. I just wish I could do this more often. I haven't spent a lot of time doing that since I bought the boat last year. I'm to use to charter captains pull up catch fish approach.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I need to find those ledges too. I spent one day so far since the boat purchase trolling for gags when they were open. Managed to catch one in 40-45 feet but he was 1 inch shy of being a keeper. It would be really nice to dial those in for the days its too bumpy to get too far out and to target gags when they are open. I have marked some suspect spots when I have seen disturbances on the water or something on the depth finder but as of yet I haven't investigated. Sounds like you did good. I have heard you can get some MONSTER sheepshead on those ledges.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,776 Moderator
    All of the ledges that we normally fish are 15 to 25 miles offshore but the way the winds have been we need some closer in. When there is a stiff east, north east or south east wind blowing the seas to maybe 10 miles out or less would make a big difference. As to, do we go or not go out.
    larrywitt
  • Tight LoopsTight Loops Posts: 206 Deckhand
    Has anyone been doing good on Mangrove Snapper on these near shore ledges?