Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

ML 3/13

Headed out of Haulover at 700, just as light was creeping. 1st stop was south in about 3 feet of water live shrimp, white plastic fluke with Chartreuse jig head, poppers, root beer paddletails. Caught one catfish, moved furthers south and west. Saw a nice group of redfish tailing but we could not get close enough :banghead they were headed north.

Nothing at spot 2, so we moved east into the channel about 8' of water and started drifting letting the wind move us. Catfish, small, and I mean small trout. maybe 8" tops. Again nothing was chewing anything but live shrimp. We were about to move again when a rod I had with in the water with just a split shot and a live shrimp doubled over. I grabbed it, thought I set the hook and he took off. After about 3 seconds I lost the hookup, haunted me the rest of the day.

We moved one more time back into the canal and slid into one of the north pockets anchored up and threw baits again. I finally put a keeper trout in the box, caught a stingray, more catfish and my son lost another keeper trout 10 feet from the boat.

We tried slow retrieve, normal retrieve, twitching, everything we could think of nothing was biting artificials. Glad we brought the shrimp. Small, but we put two on to compensate and that worked just fine.

Went to leave, battery would not turn the motor over. We had been monitoring the depth with the finder all day and I think the accessories drained the battery, the + terminal was lava hot when i went to investigate. I undid the wing nut and took the accessory power off the battery. 3 minutes later motor fired up and we went back to the boat ramp. I'm going to get a battery for the accessories this week, stupid mistake not to have one.
Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,561 AG
    Water quality everywhere we went was not good. Temp was 70-71. I couldn't see a white fluke plastic 8" down in the water.
  • Mike RMike R Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report, had about the same report last time out on tiger shoal. Water quality still terrible and the cold days are over. Boy are we in trouble:shrug
    I remember bring told in October by some of the veterans on here "keep your chin up, cleaner water and cooler temps are coming".

I do think that there is a lot more awareness on the condition of the ML and IRL, now whether or not that leads to any real progress is still up in the air.

Still wringing my hands about that one that got away! Could have been a nice Red or Black drum. It was the one drive that went 300 yds down the middle of the fairway that makes you not throw out your clubs!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,113 AG
    I remember bring told in October by some of the veterans on here "keep your chin up, cleaner water and cooler temps are coming".

I do think that there is a lot more awareness on the condition of the ML and IRL, now whether or not that leads to any real progress is still up in the air.

I guess now you know why there is some major concern....the water did not clean up like it always has in the past.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I guess now you know why there is some major concern....the water did not clean up like it always has in the past.

Makes me sad, all i had read and heard about it when i took my son there for the first time my expectations were really skewed. But we did catch fish this trip, seems like we get better at it every trip out. We move around more, and try to pay more attention to what's going on round us, birds, current, temp, etc. I just hope we both get to see it the way it was.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Makes me sad, all i had read and heard about it when i took my son there for the first time my expectations were really skewed. But we did catch fish this trip, seems like we get better at it every trip out. We move around more, and try to pay more attention to what's going on round us, birds, current, temp, etc. I just hope we both get to see it the way it was.
    You never will. It is a real shame. Going tomorrow for a relaxing day of fishing with my brother. Maybe we'll catch something, maybe we wont...i dont expect anything when heading to ML or the IRL anymore

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Fishin4AMissionFishin4AMission Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Fished Scottsmore this morning very dirty water, couldn't sight fish. Caught trout
  • inflatableillnessinflatableillness Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    how do you guys compensate for this water clarity issue? Brighter colors, louder baits, scents? Whats the key to still catching them. I went out of scottsmoor this afternoon and was casting to some tailing redfish south of the ramp and **** if i wasn't putting it right in their face and they were not biting.
    how do you guys compensate for this water clarity issue? Brighter colors, louder baits, scents? Whats the key to still catching them. I went out of scottsmoor this afternoon and was casting to some tailing redfish south of the ramp and **** if i wasn't putting it right in their face and they were not biting.

We could not get to them, but in my report i mentioned that before daybreak at stop 1 we saw a tailing school of redfish about 100yds away. If you can find em tailing, and you can figure out which direction they're headed you have a chance. We could not get shallow enough to get at em and i do not have a pushpole anyway.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Sometimes when they are tailing their nose is in full effect and eyes are on the lookout for predators. With viz being so poor, natural colors still work or a "bone" color. Just have to force feed them with bad water

Reel Teal wrote: »
    Sometimes when they are tailing their nose is in full effect and eyes are on the lookout for predators. With viz being so poor, natural colors still work or a "bone" color. Just have to force feed them with bad water

I regret not springing for those blue crabs at $2.00 a pop at the bait store. I should have at least gotten 2-3 to soak just in case a black drum came along. Won't make that mistake again. We fished Chartreuse jig heads on white plastic flukes all day, at ever stop. never got a nibble.