Offshore 3/15/16 trip

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
I don't fish down here very much (being from the Big Bend section) but have had a forum member from up here doing well and wanted me to see it first hand. Drove into the mega fog by the skyway trying to find O'neils Marina. That kind of traffic at 6 am I am not used to . :willynilly

Took a bit of doing but got to the marina and we finally headed out in the pea soup traveling by GPS on his 2300 HPS pathfinder. Cleared the pass and at roughly 10 miles out damned near ran into an anchored freighter, twice.. :hairraiser

Pretty eerie to see a giant "ghost ship" suddenly loom into view out of nowhere ! Finished the run to the 100' mark and fog lifted just a bit and we made our first drop. Only a couple of small red grouper. Next drop nada. Third time was the charm.

First bait down gets hammered, then the next and the next :cool: All big RG's. We were limited in 15 minutes with all quality fish. Odd the rest of the day we looked for new spots but nothing else produced.

Foggy wet ride out.

Forum member FishMike with a couple.

Haul

Water temp was high 60's and seen lots of bait around the 45' mark on the way out so the mac's and kings should show soon I'm guessing.
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• 2WayCenter2WayCenter Posts: 225 Officer
    Good report, Thanks.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,011 Moderator
    Some very nice RGs, definitely was some serious pea soup, everything is just wet, wet, wet.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,229 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,676 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Took a bit of doing but got to the marina and we finally headed out in the pea soup traveling by GPS on his 2300 HPS pathfinder. Cleared the pass and at roughly 10 miles out damned near ran into an anchored freighter, twice.. :hairraiser

Funny. In a nice way though Louie. It looks like a decent trip to me and it had to be nice you got some fish away from our area. Way to go.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • JC_UF_ITKJC_UF_ITK Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Is FishMike living farther south these days? I thought he was in Ocala. Nice day!
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,779 Captain
    Outstanding job
    Mike & Louis! Dem is Big Haid Red Groopa'z fo show! You gize warming up fer those S. Louisiana Big Haid Tuna'z again? A little
    birdie telled Y'all may be heading in dat direction for Round #2 purdy soon??????
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    Wow! Those will leave you seeing red, but inn a good way!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,465 Admiral
    :thumbsup
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    JC_UF_ITK wrote: »
    Is FishMike living farther south these days? I thought he was in Ocala. Nice day!
    No , still in Ocala. He likes the grouper fishing there and the bonus big snapper.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FishMikeFishMike Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Jc, i am always down here... looking at property in tampa and st pete area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JC_UF_ITKJC_UF_ITK Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Good deal. Rita and I moved to Bradenton in December. Give me a shout if you're in the area.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 919 Officer
    Nice :thumbsup:fishing
  • FishMikeFishMike Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    JC_UF_ITK wrote: »
    Good deal. Rita and I moved to Bradenton in December. Give me a shout if you're in the area.

Privte message me your number!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,533 Captain
    Nicely done guys.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead