Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trash.....then Treasure!

Launched @ Dark-30 with a 72.4f water temp and coffee colored water. Wanted to hit the beach but 2-foot rollers and sloppy chop ended that effort after 20 minutes.
Through Blind Pass to Morgan river. Lady Fish, jacks, catfish and the trash can slam was attained. Went to the outside and using shrimp/popping cork got a few more trash fish.

Back to Blind Pass and got 3 dink mango's. It was fun as the cork drifted pass 1 branch in the water. 3 times, dinks. Back to the gulf to try to get to a pass which water flows really well. Tide had gone out and could not trust my 12" draft over the sand barrier to get in.

Back to the inside (yes, a lot of run & gun) to a channel between a mangrove island and mud flat. Shrimp again and caught 6 trout and every one was 14" inches. Tide slacked and the bite died. When the flow inwards began, still nothing.

Told the GF I want to move to the other end of the island as it was getting close to noon. Got anchored and just for snicks and giggles, tossed out a chunk of ladyfish and stuck the rod in the rod holder. Tossing a yo-zuri, MirroLure Lil John, shrimp, nothing.

The drag chirps on the ladyfish, I pick up the rod and slam the 5/0 Gamagatsu home. 60 seconds later, 26-3/4 redfish in the net. Perfect hook set right in the corner of the mouth. It's been some time since I boated a really a nice fish. Lots of keeper trout, but 26+ inches of redfish surely whomps an 18" trout!!!

Another chunk of ladyfish out and 20 minutes later w/o any bites, called it a day. Lots of trash fish, a good number of short trout, 3 dink mango's and a top of the slot redfish. A slow day finished with a nice fish, hence the "trash then treasure" title.:grin

Water was NASTY. In the passes flowing out to the gulf, it was real easy to see the mud flowing out. Someday the wind will die down, the water clear, temps will be maybe 78 and then I'll cast the topwaters for anything that wants to see my boat up close and personal!

Be safe. 2 weekends off coming up. Looking forward to Apr 2 and/or 3 to further explore the upper 10K part of the world!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,171 Officer
    Good post. The way things have been lately that is a good day of fishing.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,892 Admiral
    Did much better than me.
    I went out Sat am to hit the falling tide. Water looked like Chocolate milk.. what a mess. Then the wind started howling.
    Headed way up Blackwater river to find some clean water. It looked good up there , Kinda Tannin stained but it always is.
    Got one 20 inch Trout and 2 dink Mangos. Trolling a Bomber long A with the tide as it fell.
    Just trying something new cause casting anywhere in the wind was not gonna happen.
    Trolled 5 miles of River and only caught fish in the first 1/2 miles.
    See a bunch of Canoes and Kayakers from Collier Seminole Park and had a nice day...but the fishin was junk.
    Water temps around 75 D way inside
    Sure will be glad when the water clears...:banghead
    Killin and Grillin :grin