Finally got a kayak now I need some info... Read more: http://forums.floridasportsma

Chuck6pak1Chuck6pak1 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
Hey everyone,

I finally got my fishing kayak, but want to find out everything I need to know. What regulations do I need to know? Do I need a life vest on at all times, or just have one on the kayak? Do i need any other safety equipment? Also any suggestions of where a nice easy launch spot is? Any other must know info or must haves onboard? I'm curious about a fishfinder, but honestly more interested fishing the flats. A gps would probably be helpful since I'm gonna be completely new to being out in the water. TIA!

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,210 Admiral
    You need a life vest but don't have to wear it, should be within reach, an anchor is recommended you need to follow all the same regulations that anyone fishing from a boat would follow as far as fishing licenses are concerned. Don't forget sun screen. If you plane to keep fish get a cooler bag. Only take what you need, don't over do it, KISS. Good luck and have fun.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    If you have a inflatable life vest you have to have it on and you must have a whistle. Put the two together and you are ready. Have the vest on at all times. A regular life vest dose not need to be on but what good is it if you are in the water and your kayak drifts away.
  • Chuck6pak1Chuck6pak1 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Good points.

Now I have another question. Stake out poles? They seem to be the way to go, but I have a stupid question. How do you use them? I won't put it through a skupper hole, but I saw people say they put it through the ring on an anchor trolley, and I've also seen people say they stick it and tether themselves to it letting the kayak drift about 5'-10' away? Any thoughts on that? Thanks again!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,305 Moderator
    Hey Chuck, where are you located? I'm mostly offshore so if you ever want to fish Dania Beach I can show you the ropes.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    I am in Hernando county. Spring Hill.
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 145 Deckhand
    Hi, just a few thoughts on simple things I do. I do have and wear a PFD. It's from Onyx and it's designed for kayak paddlers and fishing. It's comfortable and for me it's just like wearing a seat belt in the truck. I take a fishbag with minimal tackle, mostly just what I feel I'm going to use that day. Also in the bag is an First Aid Kit and another lunch type bag for plenty of water and food. I do have a small kayak anchor but mostly use a 6ft push pole and yes I put it through the scupper holes. Mostly though I stand and use it like a paddle board. One other simple thought, set the drag really light. Hope that helps, Jules.
    image-logo.png
    I am in Hernando county. Spring Hill. West coast
  • quatinquatin Posts: 596 Officer
    Chuck6pak1 wrote: »
    Good points.

Now I have another question. Stake out poles? They seem to be the way to go, but I have a stupid question. How do you use them? I won't put it through a skupper hole, but I saw people say they put it through the ring on an anchor trolley, and I've also seen people say they stick it and tether themselves to it letting the kayak drift about 5'-10' away? Any thoughts on that? Thanks again!

A stake out pole is just a pointy stick that you push into shallow flats. Then you tie off to the stick as a light anchoring mechanism.

An anchor trolley will allow you to adjust the direction your kayak points with respect to current by drawing the line. If you tether to a fixed point or through a scupper hole, the kayak will always point in one direction.

It's worth installing an anchor trolley if you're going to be flats fishing a lot, but not necessary. You can always just sit side saddle if it's comfortable.