Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lake O water!!

Has anybody been out around Lostmans lately?, was wondering if the Lake O water got down there!!

Replies

• Mr.SnookMr.Snook NaplesPosts: 90 Greenhorn
    I have not however I did see a video a CApt. posted off the Shark River with a bunch of dead fish due to red tide. I don't think it's the Loak O water so to speak they are also evidently sending some water from around Lake O south via the Shark River. Good luck I'm going to try the upper 10K today.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,908 Captain
    I've been fishing the Shark River area for a lot of years and I've never seen a red tide there or any fish kills to speak of - not ever... I do know what one looks like since about 1/3 of the time when we took our kids up to the Sarasota area at the end of summer -there'd be a red tide on (and it was pretty bad - I'll never forget it...). It's a rare day out of Flamingo that doesn't have me somewhere near the Little Shark - I've even been known to run down there when I'm working out of Everglades City....

For "Lake O water" to get to Lostman's - that would be a trick since it drains out a long, long way from there on the west coast side....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    This red tide event has been building for many months up north of the Glades and steadily expanding to the south. The Lake O water contains no red tide. It does have a lot of tannins that cause the dark color.
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    I've been fishing the Shark River area for a lot of years and I've never seen a red tide there or any fish kills to speak of - not ever... I do know what one looks like since about 1/3 of the time when we took our kids up to the Sarasota area at the end of summer -there'd be a red tide on (and it was pretty bad - I'll never forget it...). It's a rare day out of Flamingo that doesn't have me somewhere near the Little Shark - I've even been known to run down there when I'm working out of Everglades City....

For "Lake O water" to get to Lostman's - that would be a trick since it drains out a long, long way from there on the west coast side....

Bob, how has the fishing been with the water temps coming up?
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    This red tide event has been building for many months up north of the Glades and steadily expanding to the south. The Lake O water contains no red tide. It does have a lot of tannins that cause the dark color.

There is a ton of fresh water being pumped into the Glades from the storm treatment areas.
    Should be very clean.
    The effect on fishing is the huge amount they are pumping.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 296 Deckhand
    There is no O Lake water effect in the Goodland area as of now. It's possible,but not very likely. I've Been there last week.
  • Joe SnookJoe Snook Posts: 468 Deckhand
    A few days ago on facebook two guides had up videos on tons of dead fish floating just outside lostmans. Reds, trout, cats, ladies n black drum. The other video posted up a few days ago was of dead Tarpon washed up on shore down there. Not sure why they're dead or dead in that location but they were there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com